Thread: Grout cleaners and advanced puck lights

Grout cleaners and advanced puck lights

It's been so long since I've tried to clean my bathroom grout that I'm hoping there's been an improvement in grout cleaners since I did, so I thought I'd ask yall's opinion on how best to get my grout color back. It's white but fairly darkened now with just general floor dirt over the years. It was sealed a long time ago but not sure how much good it did.

Is there some kind of product now that is a combination cleaner / re-colorant? I'm guessing there might be.

Also, I need kind of an advanced puck light that I'm not finding on Amazon. I need one that's programmable and remote control. Any suggestion where I can find something like this?

Thanks

PS. I've got 1" tile on the floor, which means a LOT of grout lines, which means one of those grout re-colorant pens would just be too much work.
    Last edited by brad hays; 03-11-2023 at 8:27 PM.
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

I haven't tried this yet myself but a good source swears by this formulation. Use 1 part Dawn dishwashing liquid, 1 part rubbing alcohol and 2 parts water. Mix solution and apply to grout and scrub with an old toothbrush or similar. Let it sit for about a minute and just wipe off.

There is a paint with applicator sold in big box tile departments. When we had bath remodel, the tile guy used beige grout when it was supposed to be gray. On call back, he rolled the grout joints with the gray colorant and it worked OK.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Regarding the puck lights, not sure what type of programmability you are looking for, but check out Armacost lighting. They make some that are color programmable and I believe their remote control works with them. I've used a fair amount of the Armacost strip lights and have been happy with them, but haven't used any puck lights. Lee Valley sells at least some of the Armacost stuff or you can buy it direct.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I do not think any commercial grout cleaners use extreme solvents that will craze the lens on puck lights. Just stay away from MEK, Acetone etc. I would worry more about my eyes and lungs then the lights. Use good ventalation.
    Bill D

I would dig it all out, and redo it. What is sold as stainproof grout today really is. I did our screened porch with it about 6 years ago, and it still looks like I just put it down. Many puppies have been started out there since then too, and it's Really easy to clean-just mop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za9avU09AOU
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-13-2023 at 2:14 PM.

Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association