Thread: Best flush trim bit?

Best flush trim bit?

Hello all, this has probably been asked before but looking for a fresh set of opinions.

I am using this primarily on Baltic birch ply and hardwoods, and for just flush trimming and pattern applications. Ideally I'd like to get a decent sized one with top and bottom bearings. In the past I have used several less expensive bits mostly straight cutter from Freud. This past year I bought a couple of the infinity mega flush trim bits and was very disappointed (more on that another time) in short on the ply they were leaving grooving consistent with the plys themselves... very odd and they didn't have an answer and eventually took them back and couldn't find an issue. I'm sure I'm not the only person using these on bb so it was odd. I use these primarily with a dewalt 618 2.25hp router bit in the table and by hand.

Need something that cuts nice and smooth with clean edges on ply. And can remove a decent cut from time to time, though usually not more than 1/16th.

What are you all using? Thanks!

Everyone’s going to weigh in with their personal favourites so all I’ll offer up is a generality.

First, buy the widest diameter available. You want as few rotations as possible to make sure you’re not leaving too many ridges in the surface you’re trimming. Wider diameter = less rotations = a cleaner result.

Second, just buy the length for the job at hand. Don’t fall for the false economy of buying the longest bit available. They DO flex. Get the right length for the project and buy longer ones as you need them.

As for choice, you have a lot more selection in the US - I go to Lee Valley for my router bits and it’s always worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rosenberg View Post
    Everyone’s going to weigh in with their personal favourites so all I’ll offer up is a generality.

First, buy the widest diameter available. You want as few rotations as possible to make sure you’re not leaving too many ridges in the surface you’re trimming. Wider diameter = less rotations = a cleaner result.

Second, just buy the length for the job at hand. Don’t fall for the false economy of buying the longest bit available. They DO flex. Get the right length for the project and buy longer ones as you need them.

As for choice, you have a lot more selection in the US - I go to Lee Valley for my router bits and it’s always worked just fine.

THank you Howard...I'm going to take your advice when I'm ready to trim my laminate
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

My votes for excellent router bits are 1) Whiteside and 2) MLCS Katana bits. MLCS standard bits are OK but not the same class as their Katana versions. Katana are in the same class as Whiteside in my opinion (and use).

Bumping this again because I'm surprised few folks responded....again looking for what folks really like for the best flush trim/pattern bits....my experience with infinity was surprisingly poor and I want to try something that leaves a cleaner cut than regular Freud straight cutters. Would like to do 1/2" shank and 1/2" D I know bigger will probably leave a better cut but I have several areas that need that small of a radius to get into. Any ideas appreciated!

Blog Entries
    I've had very good results with the bits Lee Valley sells. I have a 1/2" pattern bit that has seen a LOT of use and still cuts great.

Whiteside ultimate flush trim. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they are worth the money (IMHO). If you'd rather keep buying and keep looking to save a few bucks, good luck! A topic on this was recently discuss which you can find using the search function.

Steel bits cut smoother . I had some made years ago. Might be a standard item now. Single flute cuts faster. 2 flute cuts smoother.

Spiral bits sure leave a nice edge. I do not have many, due to cost and the size options are limited, but the few I do have are amazing. I tend to default to Whiteside when I am shopping for router bits.

Kurt, Do you have a shaper? I use a a shaper for this work, and a router when the stuff is too small for a shaper.

Out of curiosity, how much material are you leaving to rout away? I've had good luck with both straight and spiral when I bandsaw very close to the template (1/16" probably), and bad experiences that manifest themselves in dozens of way with both when taking a bigger bite (and it wasn't a big difference...1/8" - 3/16"). Just an idea.

That said, whenever I buy a new bit at this point, its ideally Whiteside, but I have had good luck with CMT if that's what I can find locally. YMMV.