Thread: Local Woodcraft advertising Baltic Birch

Local Woodcraft advertising Baltic Birch

Got an email this morning from our local Woodcraft indicating they will have BB back in stock starting next week. Prices are a bit high but hopefully it's the start of getting back in stock around our area.

PRICE - 1/8" - $59.99, 1/4" - $79.99, 1/2" - $119.99 and 3/4" - $159.99.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

The usual caveat applies: make sure it is real baltic birch, not one of the zillion other products which retailers claim to be BB.

Those prices seem high, but probably reflect retail pricing. I buy $3/4, 5 x 5 ft sheets from a local millwork shop for $90 something/sheet. I suggest you look for other sources in your area. I'm just a hobbyist, too, and have no trouble buying from some outlets that serve mostly commercial accounts.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 03-11-2023 at 5:55 PM.

Yep, my supplier was about $55/sheet for 12mm last month. Local hobbiest retail place was just about twice that on the same day.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Those prices seem high, but probably reflect retail pricing. I buy $3/4, 5 x 5 ft sheets from a local millwork shop for $90 something/sheet. I suggest you look for other sources in your area. I'm just a hobbyist, too, and have no trouble buying from some outlets that serve mostly commercial accounts.

John
    5x5 for 90 bucks? Huh? Is this real 13 ply BB premium grade? You should buy as much as you can carry at that price. At the pro lumber shop near me it is 145/sheet

I thought all real BB came out of Russia and as such was banned by US trade embargo. Has that changed, or is BB being produced outside of Russia?
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    5x5 for 90 bucks? Huh? Is this real 13 ply BB premium grade? You should buy as much as you can carry at that price. At the pro lumber shop near me it is 145/sheet
    Yes sir. 13 ply BB. Not as nice as it used to be, but still good stuff.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    I thought all real BB came out of Russia and as such was banned by US trade embargo. Has that changed, or is BB being produced outside of Russia?
    BB is made mostly in Russia, but also in Finland. My supplier had trouble getting it for awhile, but they have plenty now. It's different but still good. The plugs are now an ugly waffle shape, instead of the footballs.

John

My local lumber yard has 1/8" 5x5 for $29. That is what I wanted for my laser, so didn't price anything else.