Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw instead of tablesaw?

For what I like to do most my bandsaw is sufficient, fast, and safe. (I don’t build cabinets or furniture any more.)

However I have a practically new PM66 with a Robland sliding attachment I’d hate to part with for those rare times I want precision cuts, angles, and such - maybe once a year but it’s always there. The rest of the time the bandsaw, straight edge/little panel saw, circular saw or hand saws are sufficient. The table saw otherwise makes a great stand for my photo cube to take pictures of woodturnings!

But as others said it depends on what you like to do in your shop.

I got rid of my tablesaw when I downsized to a one car garage. It changes your method of work, but I don't miss it. I had a SawStop, a beautiful machine, but for about two years prior to the move I found myself using it less and less. I have the Festool track saw and MFT, so that can handle cross cuts and the occasional plywood job. Obviously, if you make your living doing woodwork, that is a different consideration. Throw a moving blanket over it and stick it in the corner for 6 months. You will have your answer.

I bought a used 14" bandsaw and took it apart to get it home.
    I sold it 7 years later and hadn't even put it back together again.

For the type of work I did then, I had no use for it.

I did buy a 10' bandsaw that I plan to use in a few weeks when I can get back in the shop.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

No right answer to the question, only what's right for you. I'd question your thought of using a handplane to clean up a thin piece of stock ripped on the bandsaw and end up with something consistent in thickness that's four square, especially if it's very long. Of course, you could run it through the planer instead. See the point? There are almost always work arounds for tools and machines one doesn't have. The question comes down to whether the benefit of the added space by losing the TS is negated by the time loss and frustration of those work arounds.

John

Blog Entries
    I think you already have your answer but I will chime in. If I could only have one it would be a bandsaw. That being said, I use the tablesaw as a joinery machine and would be loath to be without it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think the comments about how it depends on what you do are on point. Of course, people with table saws who use and value them will suggest it would be foolish to be without them, but that is perhaps because they do things differently. some people use hand saws!

For me, I use my table saw for plywood regardless of the cut. I use my table saw to cross cut lumber that is too wide for the chop saw or too long for the chop saw (because I have more room on each side of the blade on my table saw. I use my bandsaw for lumber ripping.

For me I would want both. For you, seems simple. If you have been woodworking for awhile, you should know how you work. If you can be without a table saw, wow, that opens up a lot of space. You just have to be sure that for the work you do, you can go everything with a track saw, band saw, and perhaps miter saw.

I was in a very similar situation, Laguna 14" bandsaw, TS55 track saw, and Sawstop 3hp cabinet. I had a Ridgid miter saw at the time, been replaced with KPEX. I was using the table saw less and less, so I tried some projects without using the table saw at all. Yeah, not getting rid of the table saw after that attempt. Sure, some of my projects didn't touch the table saw, but any time I needed a set up, nothing beat my table saw. Especially if I messed up and had to cut a new piece. Nothing beats the reproducibility of the table saw. I can put a piece against the blade and just set the rip fence or stop on the miter gauge with pretty darn good accuracy.

I can do that now with my KPEX, for up to 13 inches.

What I really found was the most difficult cuts, or the ones I needed the most accuracy, I'd set up the table saw and just leave it until I was sure I wasn't going to need that cut again. I had the other tools for all the other cuts, and they were usually faster to set up.

I guess what I'm saying, you can answer your own question, vow to not use your table saw for a month. If you succeed then you know you can get rid of it.

I could get rid of mine. The last time I used it was just to do some 1/8" box joints.. to match a box from a Stanley plane from the early 1900s. Other than that, it's just been used for rips for the past 5 years or so. With that said, I generally do all my joinery by hand (and most of my work) so I don't need the batch cutting capabilities. So it'll really depend on you. With that said, am I getting rid of my unisaw? No. It's not even financially worth the effort to sell it, and it's not really sucking up any of my work space since it's shoved against a wall.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

For me personally, I would say as long as I had access to a table saw as the need arises (case work, not something I do a ton of, so could plan and use shared shop space or whatever), I would be just fine with only a bandsaw. Plan your project, go break down your sheet goods somewhere, and be on your way. Or even just a decent jobsite saw for when the need occasionally arises. But if I were doing a lot with sheet goods etc, I just don't know that I could make it work without a table saw.

It also seems, at least for me, that I'm finally at the point that I know enough to be able to make due without a given tool if I have to. There are 20 ways to do any given operation. It might change your workflow and make some processes (more or) less efficient, but there are always quite a few ways to skin a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    …Or even just a decent jobsite saw for when the need occasionally arises.
    That’s good advice. I have two job-site saws and carry one around the farm as needed. Your suggestion reminded me that for some needs it is good enough quality and quicker to get out one of those rather than clear off and make space around the cabinet saw. My shop is not tiny (24x62) but I have WAY too much stuff in it!