Thread: Walrus Oil?

Walrus Oil?

I'm seeing this (walrus oil) being sold here and there recently but I have no experience with it. New trend? Anyone use this stuff? Best use/purpose? Thanks in advance.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st - walrus oil for oil lamps is the new instagram trend?
    Turns out it's just a brand name, I found this online -

Finish and maintain cutting boards and wooden utensils with Walrus Oil Cutting Board Oil. 100% Food-Safe Cutting Board Oil, Made with Certified Vegetarian and Vegan Ingredients.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st - walrus oil for oil lamps is the new instagram trend?
    Turns out it's just a brand name, I found this online -

Finish and maintain cutting boards and wooden utensils with Walrus Oil Cutting Board Oil. 100% Food-Safe Cutting Board Oil, Made with Certified Vegetarian and Vegan Ingredients.

Walrus are a threatened species.
    Walrus Oil Ingredients List:
    - Almond Oil
    - Beeswax
    - Black Currant Seed Oil
    - Blood Orange Oil
    - Candelilla Wax
    - Carnauba Wax
    - Cocoa Butter
    - Clove Leaf Oil
    - Coconut Oil
    - Hemp Oil
    - Jojoba Oil
    - Kokum Butter
    - Lime Oil
    - Menthol Crystals
    - Myrrh Oil
    - Peppermint Oil
    - Pure Mineral Oil
    - Safflower Oil
    - Shea Butter
    - Vitamin E

I think I will stick with plain old mineral oil.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I certainly didn't think it was actual walrus oil (lol). I understand it's a mix of oils and waxes, I'm just asking if anyone has tried it and whether it's any good? I've heard it mentioned in passing conversation and I saw it on the LV site this morning, which triggered my question.

AFAIK Porpoise jaw oil is highly regarded for precision oil for watches etc. Better then sperm whale oil. I would think walrus oil would be similar to those.
    Problem for wood working is it does not dry out. Never gets gummy and hardens. There is a reason linseed oil is not used raw. I know linseed oil can be purchased raw. I think that is just to eat?
    Bill D.

https://www.degruyter.com/document/d...865716.c21/pdf
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-10-2023 at 11:35 AM.

Walrus Oil is a favorite of the Instagram Maker community. It's stupid simple to use, looks good at least for awhile, and is food safe. Those are qualities highly regarded by that group, composed mostly of people with limited woodworking experience but big aspirations and good at marketing themselves through constant video clips and posts. You can tell I'm impressed. Really.

John

I heard that snake oil is the best. A salesman told me.

Sorry folks, I didn't think this would lead this direction. I'm not asking about oil from an actual walrus. For clarity's sake, here's a for instance. And no, I'm not interested in snake oil but thanks...
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...h?item=27K2911

Thanks, John, kind of the type of info I was looking for. Appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Walrus Oil is a favorite of the Instagram Maker community. It's stupid simple to use, looks good at least for awhile, and is food safe. Those are qualities highly regarded by that group, composed mostly of people with limited woodworking experience but big aspirations and good at marketing themselves through constant video clips and posts. You can tell I'm impressed. Really.

John

I smell a lawsuit for false advertising. Walrus oil used to be a real thing. High priced lubrication oil. I know that old bottles of whale oil can command high prices since it is no longer legal in the USA.
    If I buy some walrus oil and use it to lube my expensive antique clock can I sue the maker when it dries out and gums up the clock. I will not tell anyone that the clock was gummed up and did not work before the new improved oil was used.
    For some reason many food seasonings are allowed to use incorrect names. Most ingredients are salt #1. Even when called lemon pepper, seasoned pepper etc. they should be called salt with lemon, salt with etc.
    Bill D.

20230123_175714.jpgThis was finished with walrus oil brand, sorry for the upside down image.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thought maybe the WO made it defy gravity.