Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Oak Prices

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Woodshop News just did their lumber highlight article on white oak. It indeed has been pricey because of demand, etc., but that's supposed to be moderating. I wanted some about a month ago but it was nearly the double price of red oak and that was fine for my small project. (I don't don't usually work in oak other than really liking English Brown Oak from Hearne where I use white oak for structure that's not seen or has limited visibility to reduce cost)
    English Brown Oak is nice but is it really worth 15 bucks a board foot? Ouch!!!

I agree with others, oak is not the 'best' wood for a workbench. I think white is less 'splintery' than red but still maybe not as good as maple, ash or other tight-grain less splintery wood.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I think I might be the only person in this thread with both a maple and oak bench. Outside of the construction, and doing things like chamfering holdfast holes and edges.. It's not a big deal in usage.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I suspect some increase might be due to mild winters in the Northeast that prevented loggers from being productive for much of this winter. Hard to log on mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    English Brown Oak is nice but is it really worth 15 bucks a board foot? Ouch!!!
    IMHO, it's absolutely worth that cost...for the right project. I also try to buy it during Hearne's annual sale. I'll pick a board or three, buy it and then ask it later what it wants to become.

This one was the first using the material and is my only nearly all hand-tool finished project. No sanding was done...just hand-planes

This one took one small board that was very gnarly along with a small amount of 6/4 for the legs and using resawn natural edge pieces backed up by white oak scraps for thickness made for a nice and interesting table.

This is natural color...no staining on these.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, those are really purdy... nicely done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    I can buy low grade ( freshly cut) white oak for 60 cents a board foot in Northeast Tennessee.
    Considering how hard it is to dry white oak, buying green only works for horse barns.