Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodmizer Jointer-planer

Woodmizer Jointer-planer

Hi all,

Starting to shop for J/P upgrades and came across this J/P from Woodmizer that doesn't require the tables to be lifted to switch between modes:

https://woodmizer.com/Store/Shop/Pla...Jointer-Planer

Anyone have experience or thoughts?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Interesting looking machine.
    My first impression the jointer tables are so short.
    I would rather have long tables then a wide cutter head.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Woodmiser makes very good machinery for sure. Not inexpensive, however.

That said, I honestly do not necessarily consider not having to move the jointer tables to use the thicknessing function to be a big benefit. Why? Difficult to see the workpiece and the tables may get in the way of material handling for thicknessing, especially for shorter pieces of lumber. Unlike Andrew, I've never been concerned about table length for face and edge jointing because I try really hard to work with the shortest possible material for a given component. Wide is more important to me. But this is purely because of the work I tend to do and other folks have different requirements. That said, this particular machine has shorter tables than some other options for a 300mm/12" wide machine. You'll want to check those other options out, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Interesting, I've never heard of this company either. I would much prefer these over the Hammer options. Like you, I think I'd go nuts switching back and forth, plus it seems like a lot more mechanical nonsense that can get out of whack. With a HH it's pushing 6.5K but that's not bad for two tools if they are of high quality. Like Jim, I wouldn't be too concerned with the wings. In a pinch that isn't something that is terribly difficult to remedy for special cases.

I'm in the market for a new Jointer but this is something I'll have to research too. Thanks for sharing.

The jointer looks OK, but I would not like how the jointer tables block access to the planer. For shorter stock, you need to get your hands closer than 18", on both ends.
    In the promotional video, they also don't show the stooped position to feed the planer- kinda makes my back hurt watching.

There's compromises for every set up, 'tho.

Woodmizer has products like that which are made by Logosol or probably their original supplier it seems - I believe Woodmizer bought the rights out of their original supplier, their moulders & planers have the same numbers as Logosol products had. Woodmizer's site is well worth all checking out - they have an amazing assortment of different machines. That jointer/planer appears very well built, I will keep it in mind.
    Last edited by Dave Roock; 03-09-2023 at 7:31 PM.

And up to 16" planing and 12" jointing on that MP 160.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Interesting, I've never heard of this company either..
    They are best known as one of the top manufacturers of bandmills for sawing logs. "Most of the time", if you see someone using a bandmill to cut up lumber, it's orange with the Woomizer name on it, including the guy I use. They have been offering complimentary machinery for sometime now; four headed molders, planers, etc. We don't see them much in a place like SMC because they market primarily to sawyers, but that might change over time.
    --

Thanks all. I am curious as well because I've known about their sawmills for a long time, which have a good reputation. I am curious about the design/build targets and do wonder a bit if the design is aimed at "Timber framing" levels of precision rather than "Furniture" level precision since the model hasn't show up in the forums nor has Woodmizer marketed to the FWW crowd that I've seen (and I do too much looking...).

What I want is a Minimax 16" with spiral, but that's a bit out of reach for now!
    Last edited by Christopher Charles; 03-09-2023 at 11:46 PM.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Probably a dumb and OT question but, I couldn't help but look at the rest of the machines and seen the 4 sided planer moulders. I feel like the answer is no. But does a 4 sided planer do the job of a jointer as well?

I consider the 4 sided planers mainly for square trim , small enough to be straightened by nails.

Those machines are made by Moretens, I believe in Sweden. They have some interesting small machines especially their shaper that the head tilts all the way over. Their 4 side and 2 side planers are not straightening planers and would require straight and flat material going in to get good results. There are straightening 4 sliders and moulders but a larger and more expensive animal.
    http://moretens.com/en/snickerimaskiner.php

The jointing width is 4" less than the planer, apparently to provide for dust collection. That seems a disadvantage compared to typical combi machines with moveable tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Probably a dumb and OT question but, I couldn't help but look at the rest of the machines and seen the 4 sided planer moulders. I feel like the answer is no. But does a 4 sided planer do the job of a jointer as well?
    Yes and no. The four sided molder does effectively flatten material to my observation from watching some folks use it to produce flooring and things like shiplap, but it's not likely to the precision that we prefer for fine woodworking. It's a "one and done" machine...rough, skip planed board in one side, finished board out the other side. Since it's held and guided by rollers, there may be some level of bow remaining in the boards on the outfeed side. That's not really an issue for siding and flooring or even trim pieces because of how they are installed, but it wouldn't be great for building a table apron.
    --

https://woodmizer.com/us/wood-mizer-...planermoulders Woodmizer bought the Moretens Company a few years back. There are several other planers/molders they have, some with rip-saw, some with different levels of moulding.