Thread: Machine recommendations need

Machine recommendations need

We are looking to expand our business model into engraving bulk amount of glasses. Currently we have Universal Laser machine, but that would not really help us. We are looking for a machine where we can engrave 100-300+ glasses a day so that each glass engraves in under 3 minutes and ideally capability to engrave more then one glass at a time. Do you have any suggestions on which machines would be perfect for our situation?

I don't recall seeing a laser that can do more than 1 glass/bottle at a time with a rotary. There are some UV Printers that can do more. If you are not needing a rotary, why not make a jig to hold 6 or how ever many and run them that way. I have 12 UL and the bottles we run take anywhere from 1 1/2 to 6 or 7 minutes to do. Each laser puts out about 120 per day on average.
    I made a jig to hold 6 flasks and those take anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes.
    9 - ULS 460 Lasers
    2 - ULS 360 Laser
    1 - ULS 600 laser

2 Sandblasters
    UV Rotary Printer

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Curtis View Post
    I don't recall seeing a laser that can do more than 1 glass/bottle at a time with a rotary. There are some UV Printers that can do more. If you are not needing a rotary, why not make a jig to hold 6 or how ever many and run them that way. I have 12 UL and the bottles we run take anywhere from 1 1/2 to 6 or 7 minutes to do. Each laser puts out about 120 per day on average.
    I made a jig to hold 6 flasks and those take anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes.

Which machine are you currently using? Thanks!

ULS 360 x 2
    ULS 460 x 9
    ULS 660 x 1
    I really like the ULS machines!
    9 - ULS 460 Lasers
    2 - ULS 360 Laser
    1 - ULS 600 laser

2 Sandblasters
    UV Rotary Printer

What you need is something like a Gravograph LS1000 (or any similar LONG machine) which has a 48" working area which would handle maybe 40" with the rotary in the way. With a few rollers to support the bottoms of the glasses as they're turning and some spacers to fit between glasses (they could be made from wood or 3D printed as needed)-
    --something like this--

4upglasses.jpg

I've done this with anodized aluminum shot glasses, I could do 4 or 5 at once, no support needed as they fit each other snugly, and the engraving was close to the top...
    -- glasses would likely be easier to do with 2 supports per glass, then they'd stay held up when loading or unloading them...

You could obviously do this 2 or 3 glasses at a time in a 'shorter' machine..

And while Gravographs- and Trotecs and other similar machines, are pretty spendy, they're extremely FAST- while most China machines MIGHT get usable results at 800mm/second speed, the Gravograph will run at 4000mm (157"-!!) per second! Not sure of other brands but they're all blazing fast. The extra money spent on a really fast machine will likely put you ahead in the long-run over less expensive but slower machines. For mass production, an RF fired laser is a MUST, no glass lasers (unless you have room for a dozen machines!)

that's my 2cents.gif ---
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Have you looked at a UV galvo? Outside of the laser area you can sandblast as well and it’s a better result.

I would look into sandblasting or some other method. I know some types of acid is also used to etch glass.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I would look into sandblasting or some other method. I know some types of acid is also used to etch glass.
    I sandblast all my glassware. Looks alot nicer. Takes a little more time to prep, but alot faster to sand than laser, so you make up the difference in time.
    9 - ULS 460 Lasers
    2 - ULS 360 Laser
    1 - ULS 600 laser

2 Sandblasters
    UV Rotary Printer

Just me, but sandblasting's wayyy too labor intensive...

And while I don't do a large amount of glass engraving, I can't complain about the time it takes, and my customers don't complain either, just keep coming back for more!
    BTG wine glasses.jpg
    --I've done over 3600 of these in the past 9 years by laser-- I can't even imagine masking and sandblasting that many of ANYthing!

And know this about the time it takes to do such things- while sandblasting might be somewhat faster per unit from start to finish, the routine is pretty much: getting the glass, mask the glass, sandblast the glass, clean up the glass, get another glass, mask, sandblast, clean, get.... Net result, ALL your time is spent 'working' the glasses...

Conversely- to laser etch these wine glasses: I grab the glass, put it in the LS100 rotary, press the start button, and while the laser is doing the work, I can do OTHER work for a minute or two; answer an email, work on a graphic, layout text for some plates, swap out parts on another machine- or two... My net result; I may make my engraved glass money a bit slower, but I have time to multi-task!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

That's true. I don't work for a home based business, so I have extra bodies to help. Which makes a big difference. I have 1 person mask and tape, 1 person sand, when the masker finishes, they start cleaning. You do enough of these and you get pretty quick at masking and taping.
    9 - ULS 460 Lasers
    2 - ULS 360 Laser
    1 - ULS 600 laser

2 Sandblasters
    UV Rotary Printer

I’ve been with kev, we have an Ikonics sandblaster and we don’t even attempt to sell anything from it as it’s just a pain to work with. If we start pushing glassware harder I’ll get a UV laser or hire someone specific to sandblasting before I mess with film myself again, however I get that if you have good volume sandblasting is a good option.

Me too, I'm home based and twice thought I had to do sandblasting. Both times I regretted the decision, though there is no question, sandblasting produces better results. Now I just have somebody else do it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    New UV galvo fiber laser, roughly $18 to $20K and will engrave glass really nicely. Kev's got that logo down great.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others