Thread: Sealing teak

Sealing teak

Building a teak table to be used in an outdoor covered patio. Will not get wet but will of course be subject to Florida humidity. Was considering sealing with Zinsser synthetic shellac. Or should I just use good grade Danish oil?
    thanks guys.

I would use an oil based product like danish oil, tung oil or teak oil finish. The ones that contain some type of polyurethane. (not straight oil)
    IMO, You want something to penetrate and seal, shellac is a top coat.

Understand, thanks

Blog Entries
    A lot of boats have teak swim platforms. Boaters have been maintaining them for years with Teak Oil. Any film finish is going to look bad when it fails.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

+1 on what Lee said. I've had boats with teak trim and swim platforms. I've seen guys use spar varnish because it was used on the transoms of wood boats. But teak is an oily wood and a film finish does not grab well. And when it fails your only option is to sand it off. I only used marine teak oil. Since your table will not see the harsh conditions of a swim platform I would think a couple of applications of the oil will last a long time. The humidity will not be an issue but the UV from the sun will eventually dry the teak. If your covered patio keeps the sun off it that would be great. Be sure to include some pics in the Projects category when it's done. I'd love to it.

Thank you, will post pics when complete