Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to change from grass to native yard...

I don't give a crap about whether something is native as long as it is not invasive. I would like to grow some exotic (for here) conifers like sand hill pine and sugar pine.

Giant Sequoia or Dawn Redwood should do fine. Coast redwood probbably too cold in winter.
    Do not bother to try seed. Cuttings may work.
    If you grow sugar pine do not get hit on the head by the cones.
    Bill D

Chamomile has long been used for your purpose.

For Ed, I do have a plant recommendation. Bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) is a low growing, tough, spreading shrub. I have several and they really nice looking plants. Native to your area also. Evergreen, red berries. They like sun, though - you hadn't mentioned how much sun your site gets. Thishttps://www.prairienursery.com/bearb...-uva-ursi.html is a source, and actually a pretty good price. (I've been wanting a few more for my rocky slope out back) Essentially carefree after getting established.

Anyhow, just wanted to offer up a name.

Ken

Ed..You might check with the local native plant society for recommendations specific to your location. Lots of variables determine what will grow where you are. There's an active Shenandoah Valley (SV) chapter with a new guide to ridge and valley plants available in may with pre-order. Here's one listing of native plants for the SV, and another.

Don't fall prey the the native plants only zealots. The right plant for the right place, using natives where appropriate is a better guide to a successful planting. There are some environments where natives just won't grow and where a non-invasive non-native specie will. Plant/seed availability is also governing factor. There are far more native plant nurseries now than there were twenty years ago and many offer commercial quantities of plugs and small plants that would give you a head start in developing your area.
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 03-10-2023 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks to all who responded... appears the area I wanted to convert would have plants that are too tall... even 12" are too high due to snakes... our dog got bit by a copperhead so have to keep it low and going to leave it grass & weeds that can mow
    There is another area that is next to our road that I am going to make native...
    Ted, I ordered the book... thanks...
    Now have to find the proper seeds, etc

Ed, Here's a reputable seed source I've used in the past. Have also used these folks for plants. No affiliation...I used to do a lot of this kind of design.

I have a couple of patches of buffalo grass established in the back yard. It grows low and slow. It just looks kind of gray-ish green in indirect light, and greens up later than fescue/rye grass. I'm thinking that if they wanted to, the grass seed companies could genetically modify grass that would only grow to 3 inches.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 03-12-2023 at 12:05 AM.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    I am not sure how much help to the OP it will be to know about Missouri Wildflowers Nursery. It is a good resource out here in the middle. I have some native grasses from them. I did not want to follow the instructions and start by spraying roundup so my native grasses are smothered out by Johnson grass and other "weedy" plants.

Welcome to Missouri Wildflowers Nursery
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I am not sure how much help to the OP it will be to know about Missouri Wildflowers Nursery. It is a good resource out here in the middle.
    Yes, I have bought some flowering plants and shrubs from them too. Their printed catalog is a great resource for identifying wildflowers.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Around here if you stop mowing the area will soon become a menagerie of native plants and weeds. On a serious note however I've saw enough "native/natural" lawn areas in these parts to know that it won't make it maintenance free under any circumstances. Left alone there will soon be undesirable weeds/ trees/ etc growing in there. They ALWAYS over power the plants that you want to flourish.