Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loved, but Seldom Used Stanley 45

I had a woodworking teacher years ago who told me:

"I get people who come in with one of those multifunction planes (like the 45) and it's in beautiful condition. They never stop to think that the reason it's in such good condition is that it was never used."

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,

I had my 45 for years before I used it. Now I'm quite sure that it will eventually get a lot of use.

I think a lot of woodworkers don't use hand tools much anyway, not just combination planes. I knew some woodworkers where I used to work before retirement, and when I asked them if they did a lot of work with hand tools, I never got a positive response from any of them.

Your woodworking teacher might not have known many who used combination planes much, but as you could guess....chuckle.....I don't think he would find that to be the case with the group of Neanders here.

Best regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-18-2023 at 4:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Your woodworking teacher might not have known many who used combination planes much, but as you could guess....chuckle.....I don't think he would find that to be the case with the group of Neanders here.
    It may be the same as many planes bought for one job and then set on a shelf.

On the other end many home shop furniture makers likely tried to figure a way to use it on every project.

Over the years the ones that came my way have been all over the use spectrum.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)