Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost for 2 - 36k Mini-Splits

Cost for 2 - 36k Mini-Splits

I just received two quotes for the installation of 2-36k BTU mini-splits not including power to the disconnects. One was a little over $18k and the other a little over $11k. Looks like for a little less than $6k I can get 2-36k BTU MrCools. I'm having a hard time justifying paying a contractor the the difference in cost assuming the mini-splits are the same quality. What prices are you getting from contractors? My installation is about as simple as it can be. The air handlers would be mounted 8 ft above the floor on open wood framing. The condenser wall mounted almost directly behind the air handler.

Wildly differing prices based on region. I live in MA. Any type of trade labor is outrageous (having lived in other parts of the world where it is much less).

Mini splits are a very viable DIY. I have done two. They come precharged with refrigerant so it is a matter of mounting, electrical, running some tubing, then releasing the refrigerant.

Same units are available to consumers via internet stores.

I bought somewhere between 3 and 4k of equipment, and learned how to do it myself. There is nothing hard about it, but you do have to understand it all. Below is just one example of a 36k. I now get a discount on these prices.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/LG-LS363...Piping-Package

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I bought somewhere between 3 and 4k of equipment, and learned how to do it myself. There is nothing hard about it, but you do have to understand it all. Below is just one example of a 36k. I now get a discount on these prices.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/LG-LS363...Piping-Package
    Looks like there may be a rebate involved too. One of the reasons I sought to have a contractor do the installation was to not have the excess charge line coiled up behind the condenser like in many self installs. However, I do have the vacuum pump, Yellow Jacket gauges and flaring tools to do the job for shortening it . I just don't feel comfortable with the installation.

I have no HVAC experience or knowledge, and found it was pretty easy to install a 12k Mr Cool myself. I got quoted $4-5k by a contractor for some or most of the parts, and no idea what the labor would have been. With the DIY Mr. Cool I was able to do the whole job for a bit under 2k in materials, and it didn't take that much time, most of a day in total.

Blog Entries
    You are facing the situation I find myself in more and more often. I would install the units myself (and I did last year) and pocket the extra thousands. If you are unable to do this you have to pay someone else to do it. Someone is coming Thursday to "weed eat" my yard. Yes, I am actually going to pay someone to cut down my weeds . . . I never thought I would see the day . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I wonder about service down the line. Will HVAC contractors service the equipment after self-install and if not, are parts readily available and are you prepared and able to do the servicing?
    I don't know the answers to those questions, but I would want to know before going the self install route. I guess at those prices you could buy a complete spare unit and still be ahead, but seems like a waste.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

My 18k Mitsubishi unit was around $3,800 installed but that was 12 years ago. As mentioned above, trade prices are super high. Our new Bryant HVAC inverter unit was shockingly expensive when we replaced an older Goodman unit 1.5 years ago.

The MrCool installation is very easy and they have one of the best warranties available. You might want to check with them directly or their sales subsidiary Ingram and see if you can get your configurations with the shorter 16' line sets up-front for your installation as described. Less coiling. When I screwed up royally and buggered the original line set (it was going inside the wall and I accidentally damaged it) I opted to buy the shorter line set to replace it (from SupplyHouse.com) and for my particular installation, it eliminated any coiling at all. If you offset the position of your outside unit away from the exact spot where your indoor unit is, you can also reduce or eliminate any coiling of excess line set.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

And the other thing I don't understand is one contractor had a price of around $8k for 2-24k BTU mini-splits but $18k for 2-36BTU units. The prices on the 2-MrCool 24k BTU and 36kBTU units are respectively $5.2k and $6k. A $10k jump from 24k BTU to 36k BTU?

Did they go to a different brand for the larger units? That really is a big jump.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

These are the DIY versions from HD. $2888 each. That's about the same as I paid for my two 18,000 btu units last summer. They might be able to recommend an installer too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MRCOOL-D...0C25/314675753

You can get a generic 36k btu mini split for under $2,500 each if you shop around. They are relatively easy to install.

Our usual HVAC sub was complaining about his usual supplier jacking up prices so much that he was looking for a new one. Seems case by case, Seeing it a lot in the carpentry supply vendors to, prices are radically different, have to shop around. The HVAC co that quoted yours is probably just marking up his cost, which just makes a wholesalers overpricing worse.

Blog Entries
    I installed a Senville that I bought through eBay 2 years ago. Put it in my basement as there is little heat down there. 18K Btu unit. At the time $1300 and I spent another $350 for stand, vacuum pump and new tester, sealant and an adapter. Cut piping to fit my location, Drilled through my concrete wall, (that was fun) and installed. Came prefilled for length of tubing. Works fine. The warranty is not valid without a HVAC person verifying install. I'd be that you could find a local guy with license to verify for a Benjamin or two. Which is probably worth it. I'm a decent DIY guy and this was really easy. The MrCool is easier, but you usually have excess line as you don't cut. Another alternative is to find again that local little guy that will install for you for a fixed amount. I would for sure steer clear of any large hvac company, they want 40% profit on machine and then 100% of that for labor. They have to pay for all those TV and radio adverts somehow.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others