Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Universal Shooting Board - 2023 Update

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Next time I use my shooting board, I’ll put it away quickly so no one sees how pathetically crude it is.

But the quality I get on the surface of the work is worthy of display.

John, you must be rightfully proud of having elevated this tool to premium status. Thanks for sharing its elegance with us.
    Thanks for the kind words, Bob. I am pleased with how this shooting board turned out. My pivot system came to me one day after looking at the problems I saw with the few commercial boards that offer a pivot. I sold several boards of that first design, which had the pivoting miter stop and worked on both sides. I still offer that board for sale. People asked if I could add a 45 deg bevel feature, which I did. Others asked if I could make provisions for LV's plane ramps. OK. Then someone asked for a fixed 45 deg miter stop. Another good idea so I did that, too. Yet another person asked for a length stop system. OK, why not.

One day when I was making a 45 deg bevel ramp it dawned on me that I probably could develop a similar pivot system for shooting bevels as I had for miters. Little did I know how long that would take. It almost became an obsession until I finally had the geometry and tolerances worked out.

Shooting boards don't have to be elegant to work well. My first ones certainly weren't. But when I decided to offer them for sale, even the early ones, I knew I could do better than the others I see for sale, and for less money. Usually, that is a winning combination. I'm not sure what more I can do to improve the Universal Shooting Board, but I am open to suggestions from you all, many of whom have far more experience than I actually using one.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 03-16-2023 at 2:43 PM.

John how much do yours sell for?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard, you will need to take that request offline into the private message area or into email. John is prohibited by the terms of service from actual solicitation/selling in the forum and he has been very good about following the rules.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I'm not sure what more I can do to improve the Universal Shooting Board, but I am open to suggestions from you all, many of whom have far more experience than I actually using one.
    Maybe add a USB charging port? I'm just kidding. I think you've pretty much got it covered. Really good job!