Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to safely make this cut?

How to safely make this cut?

I need to rip a 2x4 on the diagonal.......about a 2' long board. How best to cut this? Bandsaw would seem the safest, but was hoping for a cleaner surface finish. Any help would be appreciated. Bob

2x4.jpg

I would set the blade tilt on the table saw, then make multiple passes starting with 1/2" and raising the blade each time. Flip the stock each pass until almost cut through.
    Finish with a hand saw or just pull the pieces apart. Double-stick tape the pieces together face to face and run through jointer & planer or just a few swipes on the sawn faces with a hand plane.

Or you could spend hours making a special sled with toggle clamps and possibly magical thinking as others will suggest. (sorry)

Blog Entries
    That cut would be through 3.8 inches of wood. Your safest tool would be a band saw. I have made similar cuts using my band saw and they were pretty easy to do.

Making this cut on a table saw would require two passes at a minimum and the final cut would allow the wedge shaped piece to drop down and be pinched between the fence and the blade, most likely resulting in a kick back. A two (or more) pass cut could not be done with a riving knife in place for the blind cut(s) since they set up higher than the teeth of your blade.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-07-2023 at 11:25 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Sorry, I misunderstood the cut.
    Bandsaw

After running through the bandsaw, you can clean up the face (diagonal) side on the jointer. If you're going to do it on the tablesaw, do it with a task-specific sled in multiple passes.

I would avoid the table saw for a cut like this. The table saw would work for "most" of the portion of the cut. Once you get to the final pass, there is incredible risk of kick-back and other injury once the second piece breaks loose at the end. The only way this would really work is if you have a complicated sled with TIGHT clamps that are holding each piece of this at the ends of the wood (2 feet is a long sled and you cannot really -safely- do a 2 foot cut like this on a traditional table saw).

Setup a bandsaw with table tilt and the blade almost touching the fence and it will likely give you the cleanest cut (then clean up with jointer or a hand planer like others have suggested).

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Check this out it may get just what you re looking for
    calabrese55
    https://www.lumberjocks.com/threads/...2#post-2428370

Bandsaw for sure...table tilted and work support clamped on to allow you to slowly push the workpiece through the cut and hopefully maintain as clean a finish as possible. Use a new band for the cut, too. You'll still need to clean it up, but the end result should work out and it's a lot safer than trying to do this at the table saw. If you absolutely wanted to cut those profiles on the table saw, you need to start with much wider (horisontal) stock so you're effectively ripping off the edge of a wider "board"...the same technique used to make fine moldings so you can route/shape the edges while they are still attached to more substantial material and then rip them off to use. (often using a sled, but for this piece, you'd need a really big saw to have the blade height necessary for that)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-07-2023 at 12:32 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd use a handsaw, and follow it up with a plane. IMO, you'd have to clean it with a plane (or sand the snot out of it) after any cut.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

How many?

Trying to rip symmetrical halves that clean up to a consistent size may be frustrating. The tips will also probably rip raggedy.

If you don't mind wasting some 2x4's, use the bandsaw to rip north of the line, then joint to final.

Just making one or the pair, I'd use a bandsaw. Multiples? I'd build a jig for my table saw that held the piece safely and securely. A jig would take time to build but if you ever do it again, it saves you on the second try.

Thanks everyone! I will use the bandsaw and clean up with the jointer......my gut told me that using the tablesaw would be sketchy. Cheers, bob

Oh, yea NEVER would I attempt this on a tablesaw without a holding jig. I think this is where people get hurt. They don't want to spend 30-45 minutes making a jig and figure "I'll just hold it" and that's when accidents happen.

Buy another2 x 4. Run them through the planer.

bevel.pdf

Blog Entries
    Set the table saw to the correct angle, cut, flip, cut again. Easy Peasy. Clean up with a sander.

IMG_1331.jpg IMG_1332.jpg
    I used carefully selected push sticks and have a kill switch that I tap with my toe just before the off cut separates.

IMG_1334.jpg IMG_1337.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-08-2023 at 10:08 AM. Reason: show the push sticks and kill switch
    Best Regards, Maurice