Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: block plane recommendation

For those who own the DX60 and a Lie-Nielsen honing guide, does the DX60 blade fit? I understand it will not fit in an eclipse-style guide but haven't seen definitive answers on the LN guide.

I am looking at the NX60/ DX60 pretty hard. My expectation is the LN guide will not/ cannot accept the LV60 plane iron as is - but I know, and you probably know, some dude or dude-ette with a 3D printer and some free time.

Another option might be - I haven't ordered an iron yet to try- is the LV "short blade honing guide" stock number 05m09.30. I suspect that will work, but it is a top rather than side clamping guide. To use that you cannot be ham-handed but instead have to be intelligent handed to use it to good effect on whatever stones you choose.

At my shop, the death of my block planes is truing up the otherwise finished hull of a boat almost but not quite ready for fiberglass. I end up standing on three legs and dropping my block plane on my concrete floor. I really should make a point to look for a drop in PMV-11 iron for my $15 homestore block plane before I spend the money on a LV60 block plane. I have a love/hate relationship with having a $200 iron in a $15 plane, but is usually the plane body that cracks when I drop one.

I have an old Stanley No. 18 that is my go to for most things, I like the knuckle jointed lever cap, it's large as block planes go, but I like it. A few years ago I got the LN 102 (mines an iron one) and I really like it. Mine has a really fine mouth so I use it for end-grain touch ups and breaking sharp corners without chamfering them noticeably. I also bought the LV Little Victor plane, I didn't really need it, but it was intriguing to me. I'm surprised how often I reach for it! I make a lot of toys and small crafty-things and it's perfect for lots of little tasks.

I also have the LN Rabbet block plane, which I bought thinking I'd trim tenon cheeks with it, mine doesn't have the nicker, but if you (ahem) purposefully make your face cuts with the tenon saw a stoke or two too deep, it is hardly necessary. I really don't use it that much. Sometimes to clean up a rabbet, but I have better planes for that.

DC

Lie Nielsen makes a long jaw pair for their guide which I find is a more secure way to clamp the DX-60 blade.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products...uide&node=4239

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Lie Nielsen makes a long jaw pair for their guide which I find is a more secure way to clamp the DX-60 blade.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products...uide&node=4239

Thanks Thomas. I assume the default jaw pair does not work at all for this blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I am looking at the NX60/ DX60 pretty hard. My expectation is the LN guide will not/ cannot accept the LV60 plane iron as is - but I know, and you probably know, some dude or dude-ette with a 3D printer and some free time.

Another option might be - I haven't ordered an iron yet to try- is the LV "short blade honing guide" stock number 05m09.30. I suspect that will work, but it is a top rather than side clamping guide. To use that you cannot be ham-handed but instead have to be intelligent handed to use it to good effect on whatever stones you choose.

At my shop, the death of my block planes is truing up the otherwise finished hull of a boat almost but not quite ready for fiberglass. I end up standing on three legs and dropping my block plane on my concrete floor. I really should make a point to look for a drop in PMV-11 iron for my $15 homestore block plane before I spend the money on a LV60 block plane. I have a love/hate relationship with having a $200 iron in a $15 plane, but is usually the plane body that cracks when I drop one.

Scott, I'll look at this today, even try for a few photos. I have the NX60 and a variety of guides, including the LN. I don't need or use a guide when sharpening this blade as I hollow grind to 25 degrees and freehand on that ... so do not know the match. I do know that it does not work with the Eclipse.

From my review: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...lockPlane.html

This appeared to favour honing using a honing guide. The outline of the blade is curvy, and the straight area is quite small. There is no difficulty using a blade with the LV Honing Guide Mk II (no surprises there!), however the blades cannot be held in an Eclipse guide.

Regards from Perth

Derek

With the Veritas block plane blades, any side clamping guide is going to have difficulties owing to the shape of the blade ...

The rear is not gripped by the LN guide ...

Use the Veritas Mk 2 (not the side clamping version) ...

Beautiful block plane ...

Regards from Perth

Derek