Thread: Inexpensive way to ship a small woodturning lathe?

Inexpensive way to ship a small woodturning lathe?

Any advice on shipping a small woodturning lathe? It would be Oneway 1224 and shipped about 300 miles. I seem to recall there was a website that shippers would bid on your shipment or was that a TV show?

Maybe you're thinking of UShip.com? I've not used them, but some people have. Also I have been told you can ship things from store to store with Fastenal, if you're not in a hurry, and it can be relatively cheap. That only works if there is a location near both ends of the trip.

How much does it weigh? Grayhound ships packages.
    BillD

Probably not what you want to hear, but I would consider just renting a pickup or U-Haul trailer for 300 miles. HD near me rents small trailers for $25 a day.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The owwm site (Old Woodworking Machine) has a forum topic specifically for helping members move machinery from one location to another (Ruckerer’s Rodeo is the specific topic at their site)
    If a member is traveling along your route and has room they will haul your machinery. I think linking to this is against SMC rules, but is easily googled.
    Membership is free.

You don’t list your location, so difficult to know if SMC members could help in this way.
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 03-07-2023 at 5:59 AM. Reason: added forum topic
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Greyhound and Amtrak both offer shipping options that are surprisingly affordable if they are convenient to you. I've used Uship with success. Among the commercial services Fedex Freight has been pretty reasonable for me, especially with terminal pickup and dropoff.
    If there's anything interesting along the route I'd consider a road trip.

A Oneway 1224, although considered a small lathe, probably weighs in around 300lbs and is quite bulky.

I purchased one locally (Nashville, TN) and later sold it to someone (here on this forum) from Wisconsin. I rented a U-Haul 6' x 12' trailer and met him half way.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 03-07-2023 at 9:04 AM.

I second the road trip option for a 300 mile purchase. Unless you can get drop off and lift gate service to your door, you will still need to transport from a warehouse facility of some sort. Plus, you get a road trip (long day or overnight, but I like to drive...)!

While that tool might be considered "small" in its specific world, it's not small or lightweight when it comes to shipping. It's going to need to be crated if you want to ship it via any kind of carrier that can handle that level of weight. I'm in agreement that the most cost effective way to get that thang 300 miles is to directly transport it in your own vehicle or a small trailer. There will be no need to build a crate (which adds weight of its own). You just need to stabilize and properly tie it down.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lathes are top heavy and like to fall forward onto their face. If you have someone else ship it it needs a crate at least twice the machine front to back width.
    Bill D

With the price of diesel fuel, inexpensive and shipping never appear in the same sentence now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Lathes are top heavy and like to fall forward onto their face. If you have someone else ship it it needs a crate at least twice the machine front to back width.
    Bill D
    It comes apart. The base is separate just like it's slightly smaller predecessor that I owned years ago.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've picked up all of my previous machine purchases including those the distance of this lathe. This time I would prefer to have it shipped if possible primarily because of the drive. I have the truck and trailer but driving is not something I enjoy doing. I'll do some more checking on alternatives but will make the trip if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I've picked up all of my previous machine purchases including those the distance of this lathe. This time I would prefer to have it shipped if possible primarily because of the drive. I have the truck and trailer but driving is not something I enjoy doing. I'll do some more checking on alternatives but will make the trip if necessary.
    Where is it getting moved from and to? As I think Charlie said a fellow Creeker might be traveling the general area. I picked up and delivered some pecan lumber from Georgia to Illinois about 10 years ago. It wasn't out of my way and no real inconvenience.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 03-07-2023 at 7:06 PM. Reason: fix grammar

Location? At least what continent.
    Bill D