Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oliver machinery

Oliver machinery

Hi Folks,
    I have decided to upgrade to a 15" planer from my Dewalt 735.

I am looking into the 15" planer offered by Oliver (model 10014). Looks like they are currently made by Geetech who are known as a good builder of machinery in Taiwan.

So what I am asking is anyone that owns an Oliver machine, has seen or used one to chime in and give their impressions of the machine.
    Thanks,
    Izzy

Andy Rawls on the 'Tube seems to like his Oliver machinery of the "current generation". (new company; old name)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have no experience with the Oliver planer but I own an Oliver 4240 10" jointer. Solid, heavy and well built cast iron machine. Mine came with a Baldor 5hp motor. Way overkill for a hobby garage shop, but sure is nice to have.

The Oliver -seems- to be a heavier version of this series of helical-head planers if Oliver's website is to be believed for weight specification (which I suspect is not accurate):

Oliver model 10014 - $3660 (on sale for $3199) - weight 401 lbs.

Jet JWP-15BHH - $3399 - weight 285 lbs.

Grizzly ShopFox W1874 - $3599 (on sale for $2775) - weight 302 lbs.

A 100 lbs is a LOT of weight. It could be a heavier base cabinet, but I suspect that Oliver is not accurate. The Jet save a bit of weight by using a plastic dust hood. I would probably trust the Jet/ShopFox weight figures. I'm not saying Oliver is a bad machine, but I think its actual weight is more in line with the Jet/ShopFox.

You might look at the ShopFox model (it's the same basic machine). It's also manufactured in Taiwan (and I suspect the Jet is likely manufactured there as well). The ShopFox deal right now is very attractive (unless you're tied to the Oliver model (because of brand or asthetics or something else).

The one thing that the Oliver give you is the Wixey DRO built onto the machine. You can always buy a planer Wixey DRO for less than $100, but the mounting/cabling may not look as fitting as the Oliver solution.

I would probably buy the South Bend from Grizzly before the Oliver. It has a variable feed rate and under $3,000.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/sou...terhead/sb1108

A good majority of these machines are built in Taiwan by the same companies. Just slightly different specs.

Grizzly sells direct and they've been about to lower prices as shipping container costs have dropped dramatically. Other brands are still selling at inflated price levels when covid had the world in a twist.

The planer that Rboert is referencing is the heavier design of the 15" planer. This is the 500 lbs. model (in comparison the 300 lbs model I described above). Grizzly has a number of these models in different variations (W1863, W1862, W1742H, SB1108, G1021X2, G0453Z, G1021Z) all with different price points and features. Some have roller extension tables, some have cast iron extension tables. These are all pretty much the same machine (you can tell by the hand crank on the side and rollers on top for material). Powermatic has a version of this with model 15HH at $4500. Powermatic is much more expensive, but likely to have better quality parts (i.e. Baldor motor, etc.)
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 03-07-2023 at 3:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    Powermatic is much more expensive, but likely to have better quality parts (i.e. Baldor motor, etc.)
    ehhhh has anyone had their non-baldor motor die? I have a hard time believing this is true since most major tool manufacturers are actually just resellers.

And the actual manufacturers probably use the same parts for the majority of the machine.

But hey, that is what Powermatic's marketing department would want you to think... that PM machines are more expensive because they use "better" parts.

"Better" parts only matter if the cheaper version has issues. The hobby machine market is vastly overserved IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    ehhhh has anyone had their non-baldor motor die? I have a hard time believing this is true since most major tool manufacturers are actually just resellers.

And the actual manufacturers probably use the same parts for the majority of the machine.

But hey, that is what Powermatic's marketing department would want you to think... that PM machines are more expensive because they use "better" parts.

"Better" parts only matter if the cheaper version has issues. The hobby machine market is vastly overserved IMO.
    If you search this forum and others like it you will find many more complaints about poor quality machining and parts and shipping damage with the lower cost machines like Griz than the higher cost machines like PM. Whether or not things like a few mils of flatness, a cracked plastic knob, extensive setup realignment, or the odd scratch or dent in the cabinet justify the difference in price depends on the individual woodworker's expectations and budget but at least in some sense you get what you pay for. They are all four-posters but they are not identical in machining tolerances and QC.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Have no experience with the Oliver planer but I own an Oliver 4240 10" jointer. Solid, heavy and well built cast iron machine. Mine came with a Baldor 5hp motor. Way overkill for a hobby garage shop, but sure is nice to have.
    Robert thanks, this feedback is exactly what I am looking for. Glad you like your machine.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I have experience with Grizzly machines as I have their 8" spiral jointer and a metal working mill drill machine. The metal working machine has some age on it and is a very good accurate machine. The jointer is ok as the quality of build has some issues. I use to have a belt sander from them but the motor shorted out and I got rid of it and bought a Jet sander.

I have thought about the Jet planer (JWP-15BHH) a lot.

The price on the Shop Fox is attractive but not that much less than the Oliver. The South Bend also has a good price but I am concerned about the motors on these machines and the quality of build just not being what I am looking for.

In the end there are features on the Oliver I do not see on the other machines like the Baldor motor, bed rollers, and mobility. I also see nothing causing me to not believe the stated weight of their machine.
    We are pretty snowed in right now so I won't act on this until April
    Thanks Izzy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Andy Rawls on the 'Tube seems to like his Oliver machinery of the "current generation". (new company; old name)
    Jim, thanks for this I did not know about the Andy Rawls videos.

Plenty of those types of complaints for other brands as well. Given the higher volume of Grizzly units sold compared to Powermatic or Felder, I would wager the complaint rates are inline with market share across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes Anderson View Post
    They are all four-posters but they are not identical in machining tolerances and QC.
    How do you know that? I know its often repeated by companies trying to justify higher prices, but does anyone actually know this to be true? And further more, if it is true, does it matter?

To be fair, Powermatic does offer a better warranty, and that does cost them more. But 50% more? And Grizzly has some rather poor shipping containers that may lead to more shipping damage. But they've chosen to offset that with great customer service. I am always confident that if I buy a used Grizzly machine with some busted parts, I can get replacements from Grizzly at a reasonable price.

In an overserved market, higher prices don't actual buy you useful performance improvements. An example of this might be a Baldor motor vs. a generic Taiwan motor. If the generic Taiwan motor works as required, upgrading to a Baldor motor doesn't give you more value for your dollar. It's just Powermatic trying to come up with reasons you should pay more because they are selling the same basic product as Grizzly.

This is mostly speculation on my part, so I'm curious if anyone has reliable info to help us decide?

Just for the record, I burned up a generic Taiwan motor jointing perhaps 1/16" off a 5-1/2" wide piece of hard maple on a 6" jointer. The replacement Baldor did the same job on the same machine for the following two decades without complaint. So there is at least one data point behind the trope.

Keegan,

If you have been in the biz or the hobby for 30+ years then you have had your calipers, straight edge and feeler gauges on a lot of machines and know other woodworkers and local retailers who have too. I didn't think the differences between the machines were really even in doubt by people who have been at this for decades. Whether the diffs justify the cost is another story and there are plenty of people satisfied with Griz machines. PM had some bad years when there were manufacturing and ownership changes but have been consistently reliable in recent years. I have used various older US-made machines and machines made in China and Taiwan. For a given level of machine there is no question that the US made machines were the best and the Taiwan made machines are better than the mainland china machines. The motors are more reliable and output something close to rated power. The tables/beds are flatter. The bearings last longer. They are more likely to arrive close to proper alignment. They are less likely to have dents and scratches. They have fewer cheap plastic parts that annoyingly break within the first week of use. This and other forums are littered with comments about such differences and if you've bought or used the variety of machines then you know firsthand. Again, not saying Griz or GeeTech or whatever are bad machines. I had a GeeTech jointer for years that I bought used and sold for about what I paid for it, but it doesn't begin to stand up to the PM I have now. Sorry for the long-winded rant. Just finishing second coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Just for the record, I burned up a generic Taiwan motor jointing perhaps 1/16" off a 5-1/2" wide piece of hard maple on a 6" jointer. The replacement Baldor did the same job on the same machine for the following two decades without complaint. So there is at least one data point behind the trope.
    I recall Forrest Addy talking about Far Eastern motors on another forums years ago. His contention was that quality domestic motors go thru one (or more) dip/bake procedures on the windings that are skipped on the import motors. The windings are less prone to vibration/better insulated on the domestic motors due to the extra varnish so less prone to the windings shorting out. I don't know if that's still true or not.