Thread: G&G Ebony Plugs

G&G Ebony Plugs

I need to make 32 ebony plugs for some lights I am building. I have the mortises cut and the ebony strips made. Debating on the best method for "pillowing" the ends. I have seen William Ng's method and Darrel Peart's method. Leaning towards Ng's method except for wasted material chucked in the drill.

Anyone with experience with either or both? Better approach?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    I will check out those methods. Chucked in the drill can produce several from a single piece of wood before the wood gets too short to chuck. This is the sort of thing I want a tool-room lathe with a 4 jaw chuck for. Sounds like a neat project.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I just did a batch, but more faceted than pillowed. Planed the peak on the strips, cut off by hand with a bench hook, planed, sanded, filed, and then used the plugs to mark the mortises. Project (mirror frame- black oak) is awaiting final coat of finish and mount glass.

IMG_3834.jpegIMG_4111.jpegIMG_3836.jpg

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I went the faceted route as well for some ironwood pegs. I made a simple square jig and cut the facets on a disk sander.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've used the Willian Ng method a bunch of times. What also helped was a set of the Lee Valley plug cutter. I've used a mortise chisel as well but the plug cutter is better. If you're doing the pillowed plugs you can polish them up to 2-3000 grit and they look fantastic. But if you have a lot to do then chucking them in a hand drill is the way to go.
    Jay

Right on. Thanks guys. I got all the glass cut and fitted. This evening I will see how many plugs I can make. Think I will use Ng's method. Thanks for all the input.
    Regards,

Kris

Faceted can look better than pillowed. I use a file/rasp to rough them then hand sand to 600 grit. Easiest if they are clamped upright at shoulder height.

I used Darrell Peart’s method for these, mostly because it was my first time and seemed less likely to screw them up. Only had to do 12 of them, though.

IMG_1736.jpg
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry