Thread: Capital One Shopping, Anyone Using It?

Capital One Shopping, Anyone Using It?

I keep seeing these ads for Capital One Shopping. Sounds almost too good to be true. Anybody got any experience with Capital One Shopping?

What they want is to track your buying activity. Amazon knows what you buy from them and sells advertising based on your history. What Capitol One wants to do is to track what you're purchasing so that they can make money selling information about you to people who will send you advertisements.

This doesn't cost Capitol One much because they don't originate any coupons - they just tell you about coupons that other people offer.

I don't use that service.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-06-2023 at 7:11 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I use a similar program called Rakuten which originally was called eBates. These programs all pretty much are setups where companies selling stuff offer firms like Capital One and Rakuten commissions for sending buyers and they rebate a portion of those commissions back to the buyers. I benefit to a few hundred bucks a year, not including other incentives, such as credit card "points" and sale/promotions from the seller I already qualify for. Stacking, in other words.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I keep seeing these ads for Capital One Shopping. Sounds almost too good to be true. Anybody got any experience with Capital One Shopping?
    Won't do business with any of their products since 2005 when they screwed with my CC rates for no reason.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I used it when it was called Wikibuy.
    It worked most of the time.

My wife uses something called Tada.

I use a service called Hell2pay.
    If I don't go through my wife for getting stuff online - - there's hell to pay.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    I've go the Capitol One app on my browser, but it will soon be gone. I've had it for about a year and the first time it actually returned a valid coupon was just the other day, for a whole 1.5%. Lots of promise but no delivery.

The Capital One shopping app is mostly just testing existing coupons for online retailers. If the retailer is not offering a discount the Capital One app can't come up with one out of thin air. My guess is Capital One uses a third party for this app.

I have it installed on my desktop and my phone. I usually browse Amazon for things, and when I add something to the cart, the Captital One app will do a check for coupons. It occasionally finds one that may or may not be valid. It also will search other retailers for the product, and if it finds it for less elsewhere it will present a list of the retailers and their pricing, with links to those sites. It's great for comparison shopping. I also get emails from them with coupon codes for items related to those I have searched for or bought. For example, my wife and I were just on a trip to the Evert/Marysville, WA, area, and stayed at the Best Western. Yesterday, I got a Capital One Shopping coupon for 30% off a stay at the Best Western. Go figure.