Thread: Help with wood movement, please

Help with wood movement, please

Hi everyone,

I could use some help here thinking about wood movement.

I am building a walnut Danish modern dining table after a Niels Møller design in which the table top is captured along both long edges by a vertical skirt (into which the legs are morticed). The top is breadboarded on both ends such that the ends of the breadboards are also captured inside the vertical skirts. Top is 36” wide, so movement is likely.

I can attach the breadboards using dowels in ovalized slots in the tenons to allow the top to expand width-wise relative to the breadboard ends.

But my concern is that as the top expands in width it will push the skirts apart and open a gap between the ends of the breadboards and the insides of the skirts (given that the breadboards will not significantly expand length-wise).

Now, Møller managed to get this design to work. His tables are in Teak (so maybe dimensionally stable enough that this design is not a problem?).

Any thoughts on a) how big a problem this is likely to be, and b) how to address it if it is likely to be a problem.

P.S. is it permissible to post a third-party photo of one of his tables to illustrate this?

Thanks in advance,

-Mark

IMG_0028.jpgIMG_0029.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Freed; 03-06-2023 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added photos

Blog Entries
    A picture would certainly help although I think I am seeing it correctly. You can insert a URL of a public picture from the web if you do not want to post a pic (like a screen shot) directly. Having grown up with MCM furniture and still having some around it is certainly possible that the original used plywood for the top. This is how they got away with miter-framing table tops and so forth. If it is solid alder or birch (MCM favorites) the movement would have to be taken into account. With the breadboards captured between to perpendicular parts I don't see this happening. What are the humidity swings like where you live? Maybe a slight modification to the design is appropriate for your area(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

How is the end aprons attached?
    Are they "typical" M&T joints or are they shoulderless?
    Using a shoulderless joint in this scenario would allow expansion width wise, without opening up a visible gap.

Hi Glenn,

I've added a couple of photos to my original post. The information I have been able to find online indicates Teak as the material, though I suppose it could be Teak veneer.
    Last edited by Mark Freed; 03-06-2023 at 12:44 PM.

Hi Edward,

Not sure I know what you mean by shoulder less. The skirt is glued directly to the edge of the table top and to the ends of the breadboards. This is best seen in the image on the right that I have added to the original post.

Okay, thinking it over, probably teak veneered plywood. Makes sense

I'm having trouble understanding your post. The terminology your using is confusing me.
    There is no bread board end, the skirt or apron is in between the legs.
    I see the piece you pointed me to but this is simply a trim edge.
    I would guess that the table is made from a stable sheet product and veneered for this trim to remain unaffected.

Hi Edward,

A little fast and or loose with terminology? Okay, perhaps. Or maybe it is not clear that the image on the right is a view of the end of the table.

It's plywood!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Freed View Post
    Hi Edward,

A little fast and or loose with terminology? Okay, perhaps. Or maybe it is not clear that the image on the right is a view of the end of the table.
    No, it's perfectly clear what I'm looking at, words matter if you want the correct answer.
    The table you posted does not have bread board ends, just a simple half round trim on plywood.
    Look at the photos in this link and it might help you understand how it's constructed.
    https://marykaysfurniture.com/produc...ble-model-254/
    There is no need to worry about wood movement on this piece. Plywood is considered dimensionally stable substrate to build upon. The veneer and trim will not suffer from seasonal movement.