Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you care for your lawn?

Have not dealt with a lawn in nearly 30 years. Currently on 5 wooded acres with 1.5 acres fenced and landscaped with native plants.

I think it is bizarre and an accident waiting to happen when cities grow lawns in the middle of streets on the divider. Also big buildings with lawns next to the sidewalk next to the busy streets. The kind of buildings that would chase kids off if they were playing in the parking lot. "leave kid, go play in the street".
    More then one commercial gardener has been hit by a car while mowing a nature strip.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-09-2023 at 4:11 PM.

Some of that is to reduce heat in the city, Bill...even small amounts of green space can help with that. But yes, there are hazards that come with it, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Roger,
    Can you expand a bit on what plants, etc that you utilize?

I use a service for fertilizing/pest control. I do all the mowing myself which has to be done a lot...a minimum of once a week after temps get in the 90s. The grass is St. Augustine, which I think is native grass. However, it takes a lot of maintenance. I would love to replace with something that does not require sooo much maintenance. Unfortunately, we have limited choices due to the homeowner’s association.

house photo.jpg
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Some of that is to reduce heat in the city, Bill...even small amounts of green space can help with that. But yes, there are hazards that come with it, too.
    There are green choices that do not induce kids to play in the middle of the street. Ivy and junipers come to mind.