Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood Screws - Where do you buy your wood screws

I have found for gun nails the nail store price is about 50% of the box stores. Similar for the bolt store.
    Bill D.

Bolt Depot and McFeely's for most fasteners
    HD and Lowes and Ace (for GRK),
    Micro Fasteners and FastenerExpress (for teeny tiny fasteners...02,01, 0, 00 sizes, especially brass)
    Amazon occasionally for the the teeny, tiny stuff
    McMaster Carr for the oddball stuff
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

This is one of those open ended questions.
    It depends on the project. I don't use too many screws on interior projects but for outdoor applications I use stainless. I get mine at Albany county Fasteners. I also get most of my Nuts, Bolts and other mechanical fasteners there.
    https://www.albanycountyfasteners.co...hoC7_sQAvD_BwE

McFeely's for many years. Now use Tacoma Screw which serves a good portion of the Pacific Northwest.

I have used McFeely square drive for many years, and keep their flat head in many sizes. I friend showed me from Hafele Zip-R screws with nibs under the head that are self countersinking in plywood. His were Phillips, but they are available in square drive. I have an inventory of every practical size, but if I saw starting over, maybe I would look more at the Hafele.

Blog Entries
    We have a local store called Nut and Bolt Supply that is awesome and cheap. I go there for pretty much everything.

GRK Fasteners are great and are readily available. When I was building a boat I got stainless steel screws through Jamestown Distributors. They have a good general selection.

Thank you everyone who gave me feedback, I now have many places to choose from. Just placed and order with Mcfeely.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sebar View Post
    Thank you everyone who gave me feedback, I now have many places to choose from. Just placed and order with Mcfeely.
    And the winner is....(may I have the envelope, please).......McFeely's!!!

(How apropos, what with St Paddy's Day looming....)
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 03-15-2023 at 12:03 AM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Menards is typically where I get screws from, but they are regional to the midwest. I normally use "gold construction" screws in woodworking, basically Spax type screws, or else deck screws (I avoid visible screws normally). I absolutely despise traditional tapered woodscrews and do not willingly use them for anything, with the possible exception of matching existing hardware on a period item.

I usually get specialty screws like drawer side ones from Rockler.

That’s what I been using but I can’t get all the sizes in my area.

McFeely's here too since the 90's. It is so nice to only rarely having to run out to the HW store for a screw to finish a project. Started back in the 90's when the nearest HW store was 15 miles away. Was a pain making multiple trips per project. 10 years later we had big box stores all over the place and close by, but still always maintained my supply of screws from McFeely's.

The prices have gone up quite a bit since the 90s.

GRK and SPAX from Menards.

Blog Entries
    Every screw I’ve used from Hafele was a pozi drive.

I like Spax screws mainly, they’re great.