Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Screws - Where do you buy your wood screws

Wood Screws - Where do you buy your wood screws

Where do you buy your wood screws. Looking for another source with good pricing.

I've been happy with McFeeleys. LINK
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quickscrews has good quality at a decent price but shipping on smaller quantities is a killer. Otherwise Spax or GRK from the big box but never the wildly misnamed Everlast.

My friend who is an organ builder in Belgium recently sent this picture of some new screws he was opening up for use on a restoration project. All I know is that I want to be able to go to his hardware store! I'd kill to find a good assortment of screws like this.

330503800_151446984431775_9182384848499754021_n.jpg

McFeely's ....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Jamestown Distributors has some nice offerings.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I don't buy them, they just show up. On Friday for instance, 30 lbs of 3 1/2" SS screws and 14 lbs of 2" galvanized ones appeared. A week or two before, another big assortment of SS and other screws- 25 lbs or more- didn't weigh those.
    I think they like to be with their own kind.

Here's a sampling of some of the smaller amounts:
    IMG_3976.jpgIMG_3975.jpgIMG_3245.jpg

Blog Entries
    I've switched to Spax screws. The do the same job, are much stronger and don't cam out when driven. Both of the two local big box stores carry them.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-06-2023 at 7:19 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I like WoodPro by A&C Eagle and buy them mostly direct or from Amazon. The AP8X114 #8 x 1-1/4" is a go-to wood screw for me. I've never had one break on me. They have nibs on the underside of the countersink head that help retain the screw in the hole. The top portion of the screw is threadless to help draw the second board tight against the first. And they have a star drive which has eliminated stripping of the head in my use.

http://bandceagle.com/fasteners.php?...ackaged_screws

eBay is my preferred source for wood screws and machine screws. It takes a bit of searching but there are some good deals.

McFeely's, although there are several sizes in the past year that they no longer have that I've needed.

Also, Bolt Depot I've been using more and more lately. They seem to have the ones that McFeely's doesn't.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I use Bolt Depot for wood screws and other oddball stuff that I can't get at the home center. It's easy to find what I need and their shipping is reasonable.

Pacific bolt in town. It has like a ten dollar minimum. Ebay for stainless fence screws from some guy in Hawaii.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I've switched to Spax screws. The do the same job, are much stronger and don't cam out when driven. Both of the two local big box stores carry them.
    Same here. Though 'Spax' seems to be mainly the bigger sizes (almost lag screws), around here, and GRK is the brand that HD covers more often and that covers most normal screws sizes.

I am currently using Spax and never had one issue with them. Just thought I can get them cheap if I go larger quantities. 500 to maybe 2500 per size.