Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colonial Woodworking techniques

Colonial Woodworking techniques

Hi All,
    My town in in Central NJ is renovating a historic house from the 1700's. In honor of (and to raise funds for) the project, the historical society has asked me to man a booth to educate the public on woodworking techniques or knowledge of the time. I'm way out of my league here but it's for a good cause so I will do it. If any of you have knowledge of Colonial woodworking techniques - and more specifically what kinds of hands-on family activities might be appropriate for a fair, please pm me. If you are within driving distance and wish to help with the effort, I am happy to have the help. Any advice or help appreciated.

I would say a good place to start is looking up colonial Williamsburg woodworking.
    There are official websites and videos that should be able to help you.

Maybe re-run a few of Roy Underhill's shows....since he used to work down in Williamsburg, as a Housewright.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

The particular time period would be important. That'd be the first step, I suppose.

In early 18th century, there were no metal planes, no double irons, an who knows what else.

You could also get a hold of George Wilson, he was in charge of tool making at Colonial Williamsburg. My understanding is that they have pretty strict standards in regards to the tools and technologies used. They need to be period appropriate.

I would recommend visiting sapfm.org (Society of American Period Furniture Makers) so see if maybe someone on their message board is local to you. There are a lot of members in the Philadelphia area, so it is likely someone will be able to help.

What kinds of things do you want to demonstrate? I'd keep it simple- maybe cut some dovetails by hand, or do some hand carving.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

A brace and bits could keep children working on just drilling holes in soft 2x4 material. If you held the froe, they could hit it with a wood mallet and split out some shingles. Young children could drive dowels into predrilled holes. A dividers could be used to layout some geometry or even lay out a 5 point star. Speed contest on folding up a 6' folding wood rule. You could make a simple click wheel and show them how to measure length or circumferences. Just a few ideas with safety in mind.

I really like real time demos like that one. It looked like it was a blazing hot day. Both guys soaked through their shirts. I'm thinking Colonial times might have smelled bad.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Mr. Underhill actually demonstrates late 19th - early 20th methods, just look at the tools he's using. Of course many of these methods hasn't changed much since... ever? But the design and aesthetic of his projects suggest later dates. He might connect you to someone who's really into that period. Also let's not forget that a particular period is rarely represented by just one style, riven chests pretty much co-existed with highboys and bombe chests, so we should also know which part of that society should be represented.

Considering that game changing innovations ocurred in the 18th century, it'd pay to determine what period you'd like to demonstrate. The double iron was invented mid 18th century, the cast steel or crucible steel process, used since the second half of the 18th century through the early 20th century, was invented in 1740.

This thread also reminds me of this blog blog post: https://pegsandtails.wordpress.com/2...ail-evolution/

It has an interesting point regarding the purpose of the thin "pins" between the sockets of dovetailed drawers, and it's not the often repeated "sign of craftsmanship" line.

Rafael

For hands on, maybe a wooden smoother that gives whispery thin shavings on the narrow side of a 1x? (to make it easier to push).

Although, given the sharp iron/blade it may be better suited for adults than kids
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Peter Follandsbee of Plymouth Plantation....might be a bit TOO early..1620s...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

That's the plantation though. Peter's interests cover a larger period, he's also into Pilgrim and early American furniture, which brings us pretty close. Besides, Prashun wondered about techniques, and they might be the same for centuries sometimes.

Keep it simple. Don't feed the jokers-"look, they had some Really fancy tools back then!!"

I have a window sash that I let them hold, and then take it apart, show how it goes together, put it back together, and let them hold it again and emphasize that it uses no glue. This always brings smiles and amazement. If it's a large crowd, I ask if there are any Engineers in the crowd, and get the Engineer to come up and be the one to do the handling. It's Always a hit. I also have an example of modern cope and stick parts to show what the difference is.

For hands on, nothing beats an old molding plane putting the shape on the edge of a board. Use an easy to work type of wood like Basswood or White Pine. I use a 1735 Sash plane and they are always amazed at it being that old. It's not like it has to be a full class-just something to leave an impression and they move on.

Thank you all. Such wonderful ideas . I have had a couple generous folks reach out with even more ideas and offers to help. What a great place this is.