Thread: Jet jointer knives in delta jointer

Jet jointer knives in delta jointer

I have a delta x5 jointer, I just picked up some jet jj6-k or 708801 knives at an estate sale thinking they may fit. After some research the delta knives are 3/4 in wide, the jet are only 5/8 the other dimensions are the same (length/width) can I use these knives? If not does anyone have a suggestion on where to sell them? I have 2 sets brand new in package.

I think you can.
    If the face of the knife is wider then the gibs it’s fine. The question is do the jet knives say what hss they are?
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I think you can.
    If the face of the knife is wider then the gibs it’s fine. The question is do the jet knives say what hss they are?
    Good Luck
    They are OEM Jet, these are smaller in width(from cutting surface to back) (thickness is the same 1/8, length same) then what mine calls for. These are 5/8 mine are 3/4.

It’s surprising how many sharpening we can get from jointer knives before they are too narrow.
    My jointer can take a 1 3/8 wide knife. I have a set that’s only 3/4 wide. I could still use them if I wanted but they are pretty warped from all the years of grinding away metal I’m guessing from one side. So they sit on my shelf collecting dust
    Good Luck
    Aj

Thanks! For your help, my said are pretty bad right now I'll try these out.

They are probably going to stick up too far above the cutterhead to be right. I don't think the jack screws will go low enough. I have that jointer and use Freud 6 x 5/8 x 1/8 knives. Fairly cheap on Amazon. I sharpen them with a Duelen jig and sandpaper until they get badly nicked.

Dan

Dan could be right.
    My first read of your question was a error on my part. I thought you bought 5/8 and jet suggested 3/4.

I apologize if I caused you trouble and wasted time.
    Good Luck
    Aj