Thread: Who do I call?

Who do I call?

We bought a new (built in 2002) house last Apr. During a really bad rain last year (9+ inches) a window in the basement that's under the deck sprung a leak. The walk-out area under the deck was made into a 3-season room. There is an underdeck ceiling complete with drainage so the room stays dry. I found a company locally that does the underdecking (Raintightdecks). I kept checking it after that initial leak and found no signs it was persistent. I was hoping it was just because of the heavy rain and winds, but it happened again this week.

I'm not sure who to call to come look at it. Do I call a window and siding company, the Raintight people or someone else. The deck sits just above the window, so it could be where the deck attaches to the house or it could be the underdeck system is attached to the house and it's causing the leak. Problem is you can't access or see the area without removing the underdecking. Because of that I'm leaning toward the raintight company. thoughts?

Can you tell if there is flashing over the ledger board where it's attached to the house? A common mistake if the deck was a DIY.

If there is flashing, I'd start with the Rain Tight company. Not sure how that products drains water, but maybe there is some obstruction or possibly some undersized piping, fittings, etc, that can't handle that amount of rain and backs up.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 03-04-2023 at 11:33 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

9" of rain isn't typical by any means. If you've never had an issue before and no indication it's been an issue I would do nothing more than monitor. A former classmate/friend used to live around St Peters. It was maybe 2016 or 2017 that the area had similar rain fall. I 70 was closed for a time at Dardenne Creek for a time as I recall. She had some water get into her basement and was wondering if she needed to be concerned about it. My advice to her at the time was the same. Don't get to worked up over a one time event. She had lived there for probably 20 years. Just my .02. With that and $2 you can go to QT and get a cup off coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    If you've never had an issue before and no indication it's been an issue I would do nothing more than monitor.
    This is the second time I noticed it leaking. We had a lot of rain the other day, but not a crazy amount. My fear is it's leaking whenever it rains, but not enough to visibly leak above the window.

Blog Entries
    I would reach out to the Raintight company first. Those systems are neat but they are hard to work on. I have a client with the same problem. I have created some access points so I can clean the gutter and metal ceiling/roof. When every thing is clean she has no problems. When the roof gets dirty and the gutter clogged she has leaks. I remember those rains and the flooding. Several neighbors had 3 feet of water in their basements during that rain event. We are not far away and get similar weather.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Consider contacting your home insurance company, they may cover water damage depending on your coverage and they might know what contractor to bring in.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hartmann View Post
    This is the second time I noticed it leaking. We had a lot of rain the other day, but not a crazy amount. My fear is it's leaking whenever it rains, but not enough to visibly leak above the window.
    As Maurice said talk to the contractor that does Raintight and get their input. Also like Doug says even if you don't have insurance coverage for it although it should be because it's not flood damge, see if they can recommend someone. I missed the part that it has happened twice.