Thread: Plow plane with beaver damage?

Plow plane with beaver damage?

It never ceases to amaze me what you can find on the internet. Now, I'm no expert on beavers, but I don't think 19th century plow planes are part of their diet, and if they were, this one would probably have to have been found in a swamp. Or maybe the craftsman of the day had a pet beaver? Does beaver damage add to the value?

Screenshot_20230304-084048.jpg

In all seriousness this looks like maybe someone's dog decided to use it as a chew stick. Or one of the wooden screws broke of the end and they hacked away at it so they could still unscrew the knob. Maybe I'm wrong, but I highly doubt it's beaver damage.
    _128490887_beaver_getty.jpg

Beaver damage, got to admit it is creative BS. The person listing obviously believes in "A fool and his money is soon parted."
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    Does beaver damage add to the value?
    Certainly not as much as that seller would lead others to believe.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I at least got a laugh out of it, but I hope no one is fool enough to buy it

Blog Entries
    More likely is is mouse and/or rat damage. The plane was probably stored someplace where it was blocking a path to some plave rats or mice wanted to go. A beaver would have taken much bigger bites.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Another possibility is groundhog if it were in an accessible building. I've had them chew through flooring, completely through a 4x4" support post, and they especially like the little black plastic vent caps on 5 gallon gas cans.