Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New router table and Incra TS LS questions

Question New router table and Incra TS LS questions

I’m super excited to have another router setup finally. I picked up a sawstop in-line router table, a Woodpeckers Spinrite motor and have an Incra Mast-R-Lift coming next week. I mounted the table to the left of my blade based on my tool layout and it fits nicely there and seems super stable. I also discovered that I can get the motor cover open if ever needed by pulling the hinge pin out.

Now to the question, I am very intrigued by the Incra TS LS system to serve the table saw and router. I’ve figured out how the folding outfeed table can still be mounted, but I also have the floating overarm dust pickup and it is mounted about the center of the right end of the table. Has anyone modified this to still allow the Incra positioned to clear it?

919F11B7-BC43-4102-92CA-6D31928265DE.jpg

DD5F8C08-3BBE-416F-ABA9-5190702D5C48.jpg

And yes, I know it’s too clean. Can’t help myself for cleaning after each use since it’s a shared space for other family uses.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-03-2023 at 9:22 PM.

I was looking at the Stumpy Nubs YouTube video earlier today-he has his over-arm support bracket bolted to the rear fence rail. This clears the table surface and may allow you to mount the Incra-Jig as normal.

Thanks Mike. He has the Harvey alpha saw and their over blade collector does mount on the back. Not sure if the sawstop could do the same. I’m starting to think about suspending it from the ceiling now that I’m not moving the saw and have it in a fixed position, but still exploring options.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-04-2023 at 6:40 AM.

Hi Greg

I recently posted my modification, where the router fence is now connected to the tablesaw fence ..

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....e-on-Hammer-K3

This provides micro adjustability for the router table as well as reference positioning using a Wixey. Perhaps some ideas there for you?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek. I saw your post on your carriage mod, but hadn’t seen the router one. That’s pretty much what I hoped to accomplish using the Incra TS LS system for both saw and router. The ability to have precise settings, precise adjustability and the ease of returning to an exact setting. The sawstop saw fence works and I’m sure the sawstop router fence will also work, but the bump into position method, even with a Wixey, leaves something to be desired in many cases. Anyway, I’m still exploring the idea but now that I have the in-line router table, it is becoming more appealing.

Bent's Woodworking on the 'Tube recently did some video about integrating the Incra system with a Sawstop and there were a few minor, but solvable gotchas. Well worth taking the time to watch before you jump in as it may change what you order.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I’ve seen a video or two where someone worked out a few of the issues. Don’t remember who but I’ll search for that channel and watch it.

--

Greg, I’ve had the SSRT for some time now and have liked it a great deal. Mine is mounted to the Rt. I have found that I do not need the SS legs on mine. It has stayed lined up with no problems. I do check it on occasion to make sure. You say that youy are not moving the machine now, but not kicking those legs would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Greg, I’ve had the SSRT for some time now and have liked it a great deal. Mine is mounted to the Rt. I have found that I do not need the SS legs on mine. It has stayed lined up with no problems. I do check it on occasion to make sure. You say that youy are not moving the machine now, but not kicking those legs would be nice.
    Jack, I certainly do not like those legs but can see flex in the table with pressure/weight applied without the legs fully touching the ground. I have been thinking of making my own legs that angle back to the ICS mobile base instead of the floor. I’ve seen some similar to that on the sliding table so I know it can probably be done with a little effort. However, if I do switch to the Incra rails, I’ll go with the longer set and pull them down alongside the router table as well. Should give some support that way.

Thanks Jim. His videos were the ones I had previously watched. He does a great job of talking through the issues of adapting the system to Sawstop, but the one area he didn’t touch on was the floating overarm dust pickup. If I go for this rail, I’ll probably have to just ceiling mount it with a custom bracket/arm. I had a similar setup on my prior felder slider. Just means you can’t move the saw once its setup without relocating the ceiling mount too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

I don't think he has the overarm. Jason also just ordered a Hammer slider to replace the SS and has already sold off the Incra setup, AFAIK. But yes, the video included both the high points and the gotchas. I like his videos because even if something was provided by a manufacturer, he pulls no punches and calls things honestly. I'm looking forward to more content from him as he recently retired from the military and can focus on his content creation business and other things. Not having to move again suddenly will help with that...it's been like three shop build in a small number of years for him!!
    --

I’m curious why anyone would need the features of the Incra TS fence system? Perhaps if you are working off detailed plans with precise measurements?

I can’t think of many times I needed to reset a table saw fence to a precise adjustment. Maybe a fine adjustment on a router table would be nice, but there are many other solutions that are smaller and cheaper.

Just curious what I might be missing.

Some folks just plain like it. (I use the rack and pinion fine adjustment on my slider's rip fence more than I ever expected, honestly)
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    I’m curious why anyone would need the features of the Incra TS fence system? Perhaps if you are working off detailed plans with precise measurements?

I can’t think of many times I needed to reset a table saw fence to a precise adjustment. Maybe a fine adjustment on a router table would be nice, but there are many other solutions that are smaller and cheaper.

Just curious what I might be missing.
    Keegan, I don’t have (and likely will never own) an Incra fence adjuster. It just doesn’t fit my equipment, and I think it takes up too much space. However, I modified my router table to utilise the micro-adjuster of the rip fence on my slider, so there is a similarity. Why I did this is that micro details in set up can make a difference with moldings. This is especially so when router bits are used as if they are combination bits - set them slightly differently, and you get a different profile.

This is the rational for my set up. No doubt others just like having the feature without understanding its purpose.

Regards from Perth

Derek