Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What’s your favorite hand plane?

Then, later...
    Bottom clean up, side 2 done .JPG
    As it seems to have earned a spot on my bench...that Junior Jack is just about the right size..
    Bottom clean up, needing a trim .JPG
    Does a decent job as a small jointer, too...

Shavings?
    Bottom clean up, ASH shavings .JPG
    Wood is Ash, BTW...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

This one MIGHT come in handy...
    Fitting a lid, hardware selection .JPG
    Maybe?

Seems like this one gets the most use lately. Set up as a scrub plane- crowned cutting edge, wide mouth.

Clean up for rough stock, preliminary shaping.

IMG_3994.jpeg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I've picked up a couple of small planes similar to yours. One is only used in the house and stays on a shelf above our wood stove:

Attachment 497362

It is used to make shavings for starting a fire.

The other one stays in a drawer in the shop:

Attachment 497363

It is the grey one at the top. It is stamped Millers Falls on the side.

jtk
    Jim, That drawer (and its contents) is a thing of beauty! The fun thing about little planes for me is to be sitting down, working on Spruce, Mahogany, Koa, or Spanish Cedar. Making a few curls of Spanish Cedar is a good air freshener.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Seems like this one gets the most use lately. Set up as a scrub plane- crowned cutting edge, wide mouth.

Clean up for rough stock, preliminary shaping.

IMG_3994.jpeg

I have a similarly set up Kanna. Not quite a scrub plane, but an aggessive jack, if you will. It's a cheap plane too, nothing fancy -- but I love it. I had never used Japanese planes for rough work previously, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, when I'm not using Japanese planes, I usually reach for a No. 3. The perfect size and weight for most of the work that I do, and less tiring than some of the larger/heavier planes when the mass or length isn't needed.

My LV #4 is a great performer. My LV LA Jack plane is very versatile with its several irons. I just don’t really love the Norris adjusters. My Sargent 408 and 414 are great feeling planes, work quite well, and I enjoyed the restorations, but the irons seem to dull quickly compared to the PM-V11 in the LV planes.

But my LV shooting plane gets used even more than I thought it would and I love it. It is fantastic.

Blog Entries
    But my LV shooting plane gets used even more than I thought it would and I love it. It is fantastic.
    +1 on that

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My favourite planes (difficult to choose just one) each have a quality of being tactile. That is, they perform well and feel intimate.

Number one would be a very vintage Stanley #62 I restored 20 years ago. This was my introduction to BU bench planes, but it also led to meeting Rob Lee (who offered one of his LA Jacks for comparison), and we have since had a long friendship. It is a great plane to use as a precision short jointer as it is so light, and capable of the finest shavings.

Number two is a Veritas NX60 block plane. Not only is this one of the most stunning looking production planes ever made, but it is a top notch performer.

On the right …

A third is the Veritas Small Shoulder plane. At 1/2” wide, it is a small plane, and perfect for fine tuning rebates. I love using it on drawer bottoms, where it tunes the 3mm rebate for slips …

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    It depends on the day and the task at hand.
    So today the task at hand was shooting a top and bottom for a box. The Veritas shooting plane was my favorite. The next task was a final smoothing on an aromatic cedar box bottom. The Lie-Nielsen #3 was the star. Shavings so thin they only had one side.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Had bevels to do, today..
    Installing the lid, bevel with a plane.JPG
    And a Van Camp No.4 to do the work...
    Installing the lid, corner details .JPG
    Nothing fancy, of course..

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    My favourite planes (difficult to choose just one) each have a quality of being tactile. That is, they perform well and feel intimate.

Number one would be a very vintage Stanley #62 I restored 20 years ago. This was my introduction to BU bench planes, but it also led to meeting Rob Lee (who offered one of his LA Jacks for comparison), and we have since had a long friendship. It is a great plane to use as a precision short jointer as it is so light, and capable of the finest shavings.

Number two is a Veritas NX60 block plane. Not only is this one of the most stunning looking production planes ever made, but it is a top notch performer.

On the right …

A third is the Veritas Small Shoulder plane. At 1/2” wide, it is a small plane, and perfect for fine tuning rebates. I love using it on drawer bottoms, where it tunes the 3mm rebate for slips …

Regards from Perth

Derek
    The NX60 is a thing of beauty. As an Industrial Design professional I really appreciate the aesthetic and clear utility. I’m thinking it feels great in the hand. I’m tempted. I am thankful it’s both unavailable and cost prohibitive. My LN 60 1/2, while rather pedestrian by comparison will have to do.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    The NX60 is a thing of beauty. As an Industrial Design professional I really appreciate the aesthetic and clear utility. I’m thinking it feels great in the hand. I’m tempted. I am thankful it’s both unavailable and cost prohibitive. My LN 60 1/2, while rather pedestrian by comparison will have to do.
    Agree, the NX60 came out right after I spent money on an LN #60-1/2. Though my Stanley #60-1/2s tend to be used more often due to the weight and a bum hand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My grabndfather's Millers Falls #9.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

have 4 of the No.9s...if you need a spare....

Mine get put to work....
    Box #3 Start, jointer, door 1 .JPG
    Millers Falls No. 11, Type 2....working as a small jointer....
    Box #3 Start, fine tune a face .JPG
    Van Camp No.4, working as a smoother....on Ash.
    Was a busy day for both..
    Box #3 Start, Busy planes .JPG

Some of the smoothing, was to clean up after a resaw..
    Box #3 Start, resaw D8 .JPG
    Need the on one the left.....
    Box #3 Start, resaw results .JPG