Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What’s your favorite hand plane?

What’s your favorite hand plane?

My current favorite is my No. 6 Veritas fore plane. I ground an 8” radius camber on it so I can flatten the face of a board before running it through my thickness planer. I don’t have a powered jointer anymore because I lost part of a finger on it (completely my fault) and it took up too much space in my shop.

What’s your favorite hand plane? Or which do you reach for the most?
    - Jason White
    YouTube.com/UncleJasonsWorkshop

Blog Entries
    I have many. My short list is the Stanley block plane #1, the Ryobi power plane #2 and this guy #3

.IMG_1320.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Most often used is a #5 or #6.

Favorite maybe a #3 or #4-1/2.

Then again, it could be my Veritas Shooting plane in both categories.

Hard to pick a favorite since the are all great friends.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Currently due to the projects I am working on, all remodeling projects, I am using two planes more than any others, a type 15 #4 Stanley Bailey plane and a #9 1/2 Stanley Rule and Level Company block plane (the iron has the arch type logo). So for right now, I have to vote for those two. This could change if I get on a different project.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-03-2023 at 9:32 PM.

My favorite is an Edgerite No. 5C. Made in the USA, sold in canada. Owners name punched into the side, best tote of any plane I own. History and comfort.

I’ve got a #5 Stanley a friend gave to me. The chrome plating is more or less gone from the lever cap and the body looks a little rough and dingy. It has a camber of some radius that looked about right when I sharpened the blade last time. The mouth is all the way open and when this plane comes out a lot of wood is getting removed in a hurry!

It depends on the day and the task at hand.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Pretty hard to pick a favorite. My vintage Stanleys and Millers Falls are great.
    But...I'll have to say LN bronze #3.

Currently, my favorites are a Bedrock 606 and probably a 9 1/2. That could change depending on the project.

My favorite is a Krenov-style scrub plane I made following John Wilson's book. Most used is my 605. Or maybe a cheap modern Stanley block plane I got from the big box store when I was first learning woodworking.

Mine is a little 5" long Japanese style plane. Of course it's not for surfacing long boards, but it gets taken off the shelf 10 to 1 over all the others.

Same as above. My 48mm Yamamoto block plane is just so nice to use.

Favourite Hand plane? Usually the 2 or 3 I would be using on a given project...as long as thye are sharp, and fit the job being done....all that really matters.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Stanley 5 1/4 for many things.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My old Stanley Bailey 4 1/2 is my go-to if at all possible. I have some newer ones, including Veritas planes, but something about this one just feels right.
    Last edited by Ernie Hobbs; 03-07-2023 at 12:32 PM.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC