Thread: Wood ID

Wood ID

Anyone have any idea what this might be? A buddy of mine got some from a local sawmill in Wisconsin. It was sold as walnut, but here it is next to walnut. It doesn't look much like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The board in image 1 looks like rosewood. The live edge piece in image 1 looks like walnut. Image 2 looks like the same rosewood looking board and another piece of walnut. (mostly guessing)
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The board in image 1 looks like rosewood. The live edge piece in image 1 looks like walnut. Image 2 looks like the same rosewood looking board and another piece of walnut. (mostly guessing)
    Thanks. Both are next to walnut for reference.

Nothing is clear here

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch schiffer View Post
    Thanks. Both are next to walnut for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Nothing is clear here
    I agree, I'm confused as to which one is the walnut and which is the mystery wood.
    From the photos I could easily accept that it's all walnut - it comes in a rainbow of tones and colors, from tan with rose to dark brown.

I agree that both pieces look like walnut.

My vote is that both are walnut. The one on the left looks kiln dried where as the one on the right looks air dried.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Walnut has a distinctive smell when cut or sanded. If it doesn’t smell like walnut it’s something else. If you want something other than guesses get someone with experience to examine it. If you are serious about knowing, read the Wood Identification page on the Wood Database web site and examine the end grain as described. If it’s not important enough for that just make up a name and some people will believe it.