Thread: Verizon Rate Increase

Verizon Rate Increase

Been with Verizon forever, did a lot of traveling and I talked my wife into ditching US Cellular years ago so we could be a one plan Household.

Now travel has been reduced and Verizon raised rates and are firm that's our final price. Take it or leave it.

We own our own IPhones and no contract. US Cellular is upfront no BS and we can bring our phones.

Any issues with US Cellular and it has coverage, even 5G where we live and where we travel. Not interested in TracFone's and the like...
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

We switched from Verizon last fall to Consumer Cellular and have been very happy. We went from about $100 for two of us to $40. My phone went from 2-3 bars to 3-4 bars consistently. There is no going back for me.

Blog Entries
    Dump them. There are plenty of cellular providers looking for new customers. It is like car insurance. If you don't at least shop around every 6 months you are giving away money. Sure its a pain to change carriers (as far as setting up your automatic billing anyway) but, since number portability passed in 2003 you don't need to gt a new number. The thing to always remember when talking to a sales person is that "you are profit, they are overhead". If they don't meet your needs, move on.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I dumped ATT for TMo a few years ago for similar issues. Consumer Cellular would cost the same or more than our current TMo service because of four phones (our daughters remain on our plan and likely will for a long time), but they are generally considered a worthy financial option for "mature users" unless you really want/need the typical unlimited data bandwidth.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It really depends on where you live. TMo has horrible service for the longest time around here. Often just finding voice service was all but impossible once you got outside the cities. AT&T was better but not great. That left Verizon. Like them or not if you wanted to travel even short distances you almost had no choice. Things are slowly getting better but the uncarrier is now turning into just another carrier.

If you never go anywhere these days then US Cellular might be okay. Our Verizon Unlimited is $89 a month. We own our phones. It actually dropped about $35 when I went in in January 22 to look at options. Prior to that I went to US Cellular to check and they wanted more then our old plan. After our experience a month ago when my MIL was taken to the hospital and everyone (all her children and spouses) was at the hospital in Springfield Illinois it confirmed my reasons for leaving US Cellular. Sister in law couldn't make or receive calls or messages. When we started back about 25 miles out her phone started blowing up. All the messages started coming through etc. I have found that the "authorized resellers" do a lot more to make sure you are getting all the best deals. Corporate stores tend to no longer have real customer service. For us a few dollars per month isn't worth the aggravation of unreliable service. My BIL switched to Tmo and he's had some call dropping issues with them. He's saving a couple bucks a month over ours. It's a mine field certainly and the advertising is misleading as well. Good luck whatever direction you go.

Don't disregard the MVNOs, (mobile virtual network operators) of which I think Consumer's Cellular is one. I had Airvoice Wireless for years but their customer service is questionable for heavy users. I still recommend them for occasional use, I was become a heavier user. I switched to Pure Talk because it has U.S. support; I can easily understand who I'm talking to. Both use AT&Ts infrastructure. The only difference I can tell between the "Big Three" (AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon) can be priority during periods of heavy usage. Carriers put their own customers first which is no surprise. I've never found this to be an issue, I imagine it could be during natural disasters or something like that.

I found the US Cellular website to be most honest and informative, whereas Verizon does its best to be confusing and its been that way forever.

No I do not want a virtual network that exists in software and BS, I want a real network with equipment and people, Been in this cell phone thing... well does anyone else remember the Motorola Flip Phone that was not really pocket size? One hour of talk time per month??

As above IF I was traveling like I used to do, Verizon is and still is the one.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

We have two phones and two different carriers.

Verizon is the only game in town for some remote locations we visit regularly. For other locations we frequent, Verizon has one or no bars, so our other phone TMobile. TMobile seems generally better, but again, there are locations where Verizon has significantly more bars. So the two phone, two carrier method works for us.
    Regards,

Tom

Be careful of free phones. I need to replace a 3g phone. Verizon would give me a free phone only that included a upgraded service that would cost 20$ a month more and never allowed to drop back to the older plan.
    I do not need unlimited and internet
    Bill D

Lot's of used/refurbished unlocked phones here very reasonably priced. If you are Amazon Prime members you can order these with free shipping. It's a part of the Amazon group.

https://www.woot.com/category/electr...nt_cdet_elec_2