Thread: Refinishing A Gunstock

Refinishing A Gunstock

I've got a walnut gunstock that currently has Waterlox for a finish. After applying the finish I'm not happy with how the stock looks. I want to strip off the Waterlox, stain the wood and reapply the Waterlox.

Here's my problem, I use the sanding sludge method of grain filling. How can I retain the stained finish while I use thinned Waterlox for sanding to get sludge to fill the pores in the grain? Or is there a different method I can use?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I think you will have to use a conventional grain filler, rather than the slurry method. I'm not sure if it's stain first, then grain filler, or the other way around, though.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I think you will have to use a conventional grain filler, rather than the slurry method. I'm not sure if it's stain first, then grain filler, or the other way around, though.

John
    I guess I'll poke around the Brownell's website for some info.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blog Entries
    Midway USA used to have some really good gun restoration videos, Several dealt with wood, stocks, and finishes. A few of the videos have disappeared from the web.
    Best Regards, Maurice