Thread: Holes in wood - termites?

Holes in wood - termites?

Picked up an old chest of drawers ( circa 1940 ) to rehab and donate. Noticed these holes in some areas of chest. I do not see any termites and the chest is in good shape - no rotting, collapsing wood. Thoughts?

holes 1.jpgholes 2.jpg

My guess is powder post beetles. The bigger issue is whether it is an active or inactive infestation.

In the Pine, Old House Borers. In the Oak, Powder Post Beetles.

PP, major problem in walnut as well.

Powder post beetles most likely. If there is any little piles of dust or trails down the board below the holes.

then not a good idea to have indoors. Tightly sealing in plastic for a few weeks might kill them off.

Blog Entries
    Anobiid ppb may attack both hardwoods and softwoods, which means that infestations may be found in all the same places as Lyctid beetles, as well as in structural timbers (beams, sills, joists, studs, subflooring, etc). Maple, beech, poplar and pine are especially susceptible to attack.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I picked up some really nice 8/4 and 12/4 white ash slabs a couple years ago for very little - they've been air drying since 1970. I set them aside, away from the rest of my wood because of the ppb holes. I haven't seen any saw dust in the couple years I've had them so these are going to be my next bench. As long as there's no activity (saw dust etc), it should be safe.

Edit: I added a pic, if you zoom in, you can see the ppb holes. There's also some walnut and a little cherry there - I think I paid 400-500 bucks for the lot. The walnut and cherry had no ppb holes and was also originally sawn in 1970.20211025_182409.jpg
    Last edited by John Kananis; 03-03-2023 at 9:23 AM.