Thread: Low Profile Dog / Stop

Blog Entries

Low Profile Dog / Stop

I'm a hybrid guy. I have shown this before but was just using it and thought I would toss this out there. A dog with a flat head bolt threaded into it as a low profile dog / stop comes in handy.
    Thin Stock Dogs (1).jpg . Thin Stock Dogs (3).jpg
    Great for planing or sanding thin stock.
    Low Profile Dog (2).jpg
    I just used it to sneak up on a tight fit for some miter keys.
    Low Profile Dog (3).jpg
    You never know when some random post like this will help someone.

BTW, been meaning to replace the 1/4 - 20 flat head steel bolt with a brass one. I'll stumble over one at some point.

"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Great idea Glenn. My only change would be to use a brass screw for the softer metal in case of an accident.

I like this better than my shimmed dog:

Shimmed Dog in Use.jpg

The shimmed dog has to be stored off bench. It wasn't glued and the shim fell out and was lost in the shavings on the floor.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Good idea. I use mostly Japanese planes so I clamp a scrap in the vise as a stop.

Cool looking plane as well.

Have you thought about flattening at least one side of the screw head to increase contact area? Adding filed teeth to the edge significantly increases grip.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Have you thought about flattening at least one side of the screw head to increase contact area? Adding filed teeth to the edge significantly increases grip.
    For this purpose the sharp angled edge of the screw keeps the end of the thin stock pressed to the bench. I have other low profile stops for other purposes. I was just using this one yet again the other day and thought I would share. I think we all do things that we don't really think about that could benefit others. I always pick up a trick or two when someone posts such things and wanted to pay back.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler