Thread: John Jordan woodturner, RIP

John Jordan woodturner, RIP

Sad news, the "other" John Jordan, the famous one in the woodturning community, lost his serious health battle today.

73 years old, to the day.

Many of us will never forget him.

John Jordan
    02/28/1950 - 02/28/2023

JKJ

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    John and me at my house.
    Jordans_Two_IMG_20170920_121712_011.jpg

When I visited his booth at a TAW symposium.
    Jordans_IMG_0686_crop.jpg

At TAW, the year of the big snow. Doug Thompson, John J, John Lucas, JKJ.
    Jordans_TAW_2010_cs.jpg

At a special class taught by JJ and Clay Foster.
    jordan_foster_IMG_20160727_.jpg jordan_IMG_20160726_154809_.jpg jordan_foster_IMG_20160729_.jpg

I still have one of his hollow form blanks, dry now, I think I'll finally turn it.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-28-2023 at 3:10 PM.

Rest in peace my friend.🙏

Only knew John through the demos I was fortunate to have attended, yet through his easy demeanor, his willingness to answer questions no matter how simple and his smile as he gave so much I felt that he was a friend. God speed John, be at peace.

A very fine fellow and a great artist. May he rest in peace.

Such a loss. He was a great demonstrator and an inspiring artist. He will be missed!

I am so sorry John. I've noted with amusement over the years as you have referred to him as "the other John Jorden." I never met him but have seen his inspiring work online. He was a positive influence in the turning community.
    RD

From the AAW Toolbox email today: Remembering John Jordan

To the Woodturning Community,

It is with profound sadness that we share the news that John Jordan passed away Tuesday following an extended illness. John’s life-long contributions to the field of woodturning were foundational and deeply personal to us and everyone who knew him. John has been an integral part of AAW from the beginning and a voice in the original vision for an association of woodturners bound together around the ideals of openly sharing ideas, freely exchanging our methods and techniques, and learning by example. He lived those ideals. He was respected throughout his career and served on the AAW's Board of Advisors, through which he excelled as a valued source of advice, ideas, and inspiration.

unnamed.jpg

John’s turned and carved vessels are featured in numerous private and corporate collections, as well as the Public Collections of more than thirty museums. In 2012 he was given the honor as a Lifetime AAW Honorary Member. He was one of only two members present at every AAW International Woodturning Symposium.

In this moment, we cannot express with our words the wealth of what John left behind on our hearts. Always one of the first to seek out at an in-person woodturning event, his charm and good-natured sensibilities are legendary. We will miss him dearly. On behalf of the AAW family we express our deepest condolences to John’s family and loved ones in this difficult time.

Respectfully Yours,

Mike Summerer, AAW Board President
    Phil McDonald, AAW Executive Director

I was curious about his work being new to turning, I assume robust tool rest and other tools are still available? I was looking at a inside tool rest on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elett View Post
    I was curious about his work being new to turning, I assume robust tool rest and other tools are still available? I was looking at an obinside tool rest on the site.
    Robust is running a site wide sale right now.

That's sad to hear. My only experience with John was at the Utah symposium. John brought his motorcycle and was driving it around the area. When it came time for his demo, he had been out riding and arrived a few minutes late. He came running into the room wearing his helmet still. He was asked if the demo was going to be that intense, and if we needed one.
    Good times, wonderful person. Thanks John