Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since cheap tools seem to be en vouge

Since cheap tools seem to be en vouge

With the cheap workable tools being posted lately I figured I’d share my $20 plane from Amazon. It was surprisingly quick to set up. Blade is kinda tapered and the body wasn’t quite square but tool about 20min all in the tune the body and hone the blade good enough its purpose.

I think it could serve as a nice entry to wooden planes before investing from a legitimate maker. I plan on taking it to a job site later today to clean up some inset door stops.

1B630B4B-F7FE-4ED3-A7AA-B631B8A066EF.jpg71A36953-B764-4A4A-88F7-1283618D535F.jpg

Interesting; thanks, Chuck.

It seems that the body being out of square should be a quick and easy fix. The wedge looks a bit short (again, not necessarily a big deal to overcome--one could make a more appropriate wedge if needed even though that would add time to the overall setup). if the steel is good, the wood is a decent choice, and the design is sound I don't see any significant downsides.

On that note, some questions:
    1. Is the steel good? Does it sharpen well and easily without being overly soft?
    2. Do you know what the wood is? I can guess based on the photos, but I'd probably be wrong.
    3. How does it perform? More to the point, is it easy to insert/remove the blade and wedge, can the blade be adjusted with appropriate ease, and does the escapement work well without clogging?
    4. Do you have a link available to the product?

My own experience with such planes is extremely limited and amateurish: I built and used a couple of similar-ish wooden planes that each used a chisel for its iron. The designs were heavily based on an image Warren Mickley posted a few years ago from Roubo. One was a plow plane and the other a rabbet plane. In the process of building and using these I learned from a few mistakes I made. I can certainly now build better wooden planes (more skill developed and I can avoid my previous mistakes), but I can guarantee there's much I have yet to learn. I've been interested for a while in learning to use a truly well-built wooden plane so that I can experience how one should perform (but have yet to find an opportunity).

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the plane you posted as well as the thoughts of those with a good deal of experience using wooden planes from, as you phrased it, a legitimate maker.

Thanks again for posting about this plane.

My guess for wood would be acacia. A lot of cheap Chinese stuff is made from it. Not particularly great for a plane as it splits and chips easily. I typically wouldn’t want much of a finish on a plane but I think I may hit this one with something that will harden it.
    Adjustments are relatively easy, although I don’t claim to have a ton of experience to reference from. It is cutting square rabbets and has performed some shoulder clean up duties with not much issue.
    Steel is 01 so easy to sharpen. I spent about 5 minutes freehand with a 1k and 8k shapton glass. Didn’t bother with anything else since it came with a hollow grind. I try and free hand what is the equivalent of doing the ruler trick. Doesn’t really eject long grain shavings, but not a big deal.

I don’t think you could be bummed with it at $20. Being as cheap as it is, I wouldn’t hesitate to glue or double stick a depth stop to the side.

I hate to not support American plane makers or my personal taste for handmade Japanese planes, but thought it would be fun to test this one out and keep it in the tool bag for rougher carpentry tasks. I don’t think it necessarily is a whole lot smoother than my LN 042.
    Last edited by chuck van dyck; 02-28-2023 at 12:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Michael beat me to mentioning the wedge appears a bit short. The wedge can work a little like a cap iron. It can also be shaped to direct the shaving out of the escapement.

Here is a post on wood planes and rehabilitation/tune up > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?242156 < In the 7th post some work is done on a wedge to keep it from jamming. Post #33 & #34 are about making a new wedge for a skew rabbet plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by chuck van dyck View Post
    With the cheap workable tools being posted lately I figured I’d share my $20 plane from Amazon. It was surprisingly quick to set up. Blade is kinda tapered and the body wasn’t quite square but tool about 20min all in the tune the body and hone the blade good enough its purpose.

I think it could serve as a nice entry to wooden planes before investing from a legitimate maker. I plan on taking it to a job site later today to clean up some inset door stops.

1B630B4B-F7FE-4ED3-A7AA-B631B8A066EF.jpg71A36953-B764-4A4A-88F7-1283618D535F.jpg

In the 'workshops' section currently there is a question about laminated plywood bench with epoxy finish.

I kind of poo-pooed the idea, but it looks like your bench is made that way- how do you like it?

Its okay. Its tough as hell. Hold fasts don’t bite great unless you scab some hardwood underneath the holes but its heavy and dimensionally stable. At one time ply was cheap and 2 sheets will get you a 30” top. I think this one is radiata.

Interesting, thanks.

I have half a dozen Japanese grooving planes similar to that that have generally come in batches with more desired items. They have really nice irons & chipbreakers,

but I've found them tricky to set up and difficult to get a clean edge on the shoulder of the groove or rabbet.

Blog Entries
    but I've found them tricky to set up and difficult to get a clean edge on the shoulder of the groove or rabbet.
    The iron needs to be set up so the sides are slightly proud of the plane body.

Here is an image from a Stanley #55 manual showing (exaggerated) blade set up:

Setting Blades.png

The blades also have a bevel on the edges.

On my rabbet planes the blade is set by pressing one side of the plane against my bench. This leaves that side of the blade set well for making a straight, clean rabbet.

Some wood with shifting grain may require knifing the edges to keep from having a lot of splintering.

Another way to clean up the side of a slot is side rabbet planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My guess for wood would be acacia.
    I have a bunch of planes like this, it's some other species native to South Asia. It also seems to be abundant, since there's tons of other tools made from this wood. This specie is dense, hard and seems to take polish really well: it shines even unfinished. Moderately hard, something comparable to maple.

Besides, acacia takes a way darker tone, these ones are quite bright reddish-brown. The plane looks a lot like planes sold under Mujingfang brand. Can't really tell whether all of them made from the same wood, since Mujingfang also distributes planes made by independent craftsmen (apparently they have quite a cottage industry for planemakers). Mine were about the same color and in about the same price range, but they aren't "cheap" in the sense of quality - planes are well done in terms of craftsmanship and finish. They come with HSS irons, irons were quite flat, for which I was very grateful, because lapping HSS irons took only a couple of minutes.

Ah. Thanks for the explanation of the wood type. Its sold as “rosewood” so maybe that is a hint.

The body has developed a crack as you can probably see if you look closely at the photo. For now its ca glued back, but when it splits again it’ll likely be along the grain so a repair will be better than new.

Not totally necessary but was fun using the plane to clean up/dial in the tenons on these door frames.
    Now scouring the marketplace for a nice vintage user.
    08B4A102-00EC-4D21-A9FF-6A6118892047.jpeg8D7074F9-8C1D-477F-A066-F1B1B8AB1A37.jpg

I've got half a dozen Japanese grooving planes- I'd send you one for postage.

Jay

Cheap tools...
    Boxing Day, shooting plane .JPG
    Doing end grain, or..
    Boxing Day, joint an edge.JPG
    Maybe a bit of jointing..
    Boxing Day, No. 118 .JPG
    Stanley No. 118..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I've got half a dozen Japanese grooving planes- I'd send you one for postage.

Jay
    Jay, thats an extremely generous offer and I’d love to take you up on it. Pm incoming. Will try to figure out a trade or something.

Jay, thats an extremely generous offer and I’d love to take you up on it. Pm incoming. Will try to figure out a trade or something.
    I'll take a pic of them, & pick one out.