Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

27 Feb 2023

Greetings,
    Worked on repairing on old rocking chair for a friend of mine and also made a support for my son's queen bed slats. Evidently, with enough weight on the bed, the full 4/4" White Ash rail board bow enough to allow the middle slats to fall off the inside support rails. So, I got a new support set made for it so it won't happen again. Been helping The LOML with her Excel and MS Access homework for her last semester in college before she graduates in May of this year. She's done very well in college and I'm proud of her and all she's accomplished.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, not only has T been doing well in her college work, she also seems to be enjoying it. Bravo to her!!

This past week kinda held the "milestone line" for the new shop, going from a "shop build project" to a shop ready to build things in. With minor exceptions (including a walkway between the shop and the house), I've moved on now. Of course, the first few projects will likely be things FOR the shop, but hey...it's a customer that doesn't complain. I actually got started on one today...working on a big modular "table" that will be used for slab flattening, sheet goods processing with a track saw and any assembly that requires a larger surface than my benches can provide, such as a big table top. That project will be followed by a cabinet that will roll under the slider's right side table for more formal storage of blades and other gear.

But there were a bunch of non-shop projects that had to happen, such as breakdown disposal of some pallets that nobody wanted to take after being available for a couple weeks, playing "pick up sticks" in the backyard, getting stuff put away that got shoved into the garage post shop build such as paints, electrical stuff, storage bins, etc. This week will be more of the same plus a lot of running around for medical appointments for our older daughter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I glued up the baby change table for my youngest daughter, now it needs sanding and painting…..Regards, Rod

I got my in/out tray sets to the pre-finish stage. Had a brain cramp and made half the number of feet and spacers that I needed so I had to spend most of a day making more. Why is always the most complicated part with the most setups and operations that needs to be redone? Oh well. Went back to the Mohs surgeon so she could patch up the divot in my ear with a piece of skin from--um--elsewhere. Glad that's over with. Got up close to 60 on Sunday so I actually went out and did some weeding. Normally I hate weeding, but it was nice to get outside and enjoy the pleasant day. I picked up water heater while Menards was having their 11% sale. Mine is still working fine, but it's a ways past its expected lifetime so I figured I'll change it on my schedule and not on an emergency basis.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dennis, not only has T been doing well in her college work, she also seems to be enjoying it. Bravo to her!!

This past week kinda held the "milestone line" for the new shop, going from a "shop build project" to a shop ready to build things in. With minor exceptions (including a walkway between the shop and the house), I've moved on now. Of course, the first few projects will likely be things FOR the shop, but hey...it's a customer that doesn't complain. I actually got started on one today...working on a big modular "table" that will be used for slab flattening, sheet goods processing with a track saw and any assembly that requires a larger surface than my benches can provide, such as a big table top. That project will be followed by a cabinet that will roll under the slider's right side table for more formal storage of blades and other gear.

But there were a bunch of non-shop projects that had to happen, such as breakdown disposal of some pallets that nobody wanted to take after being available for a couple weeks, playing "pick up sticks" in the backyard, getting stuff put away that got shoved into the garage post shop build such as paints, electrical stuff, storage bins, etc. This week will be more of the same plus a lot of running around for medical appointments for our older daughter.
    I love this post for its emphasis on family! Pick up sticks, I call it "cleaning the woods" one of my favorite tasks. It is going to be fun to see what you get up to in your new shop!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I love this post for its emphasis on family! Pick up sticks, I call it "cleaning the woods" one of my favorite tasks. It is going to be fun to see what you get up to in your new shop!
    I'm the driver these days because of a health issue that Professor Dr. SWMBO has and our older daughter who has a "non visible disability" doesn't drive...and is getting knee replacement surgery at age 27. There's a bunch of pre-op appointments plus some other things that have meant almost daily drives "somewhere. I try to keep our younger daughter free from obligations relative to her sister, but can call on her if I have to...she and her SO also live in town, so they are close by and she's only working part time at present.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Getting closer to having my Pocket Hole Machine done!!

IMG_5780.jpg

Pocket Hole Machine.jpg

Working on finishing that bench that I posted about months ago. Got sidetracked for a while. I'll post more again once I get something to show besides a pile of identical wood pieces.

The half-lap joints (tons of them in this piece) are presently challenging me to get them precise. Hopefully will become assembly line once I get them dialed in.

Finished a planter to replace one that my granddaughter accidentally knocked over and broke. Plus replaced a few outdoor lighting transformers for my community that broke (real back killer that one).

So been keeping busy.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.