Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glue brush discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    These look like good quality brushes. Do you recall where you found them?
    Easiest to buy them from https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/MS-BRID.XX (while you're there buy a Grammercy shellac brush, it will change your life if you like shellac-- don't look at the price, just press the button. You won't regret it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

"Disposable Natural-Bristle Brushes" in sizes from 1/2 to 3".

Attachment 496446

The 1/2" size is inexpensive
    aka "chip brush". BORG, Amazon, all the usual suspects. I have a couple of the 1/2".

Crimp the ferrule. Weep some thin CA glue into the ferrule. Trim the bristles. These two are several years old - I soak in water before use, and rinse in water after use.

My thought on the CA was to set the bristles, but I'm suspecting it also helps longevity by keeping water out.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Well, I was a concrete finisher for 30 years. I used to use popsicle sticks. Some times I would use the core from the foam brushes which were 1 inch wide. Notch the blade like one of the formica adhesive spreaders and that worked great too. Haven't tried the toothbrush yet, but that would work for edge gluing boards. The popsicle sticks worked great for tenons and mortices.

robo hippy

For really wide glue-ups, I've been using 1/8" v notched plastic trowels. Another odd ball option that works great.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    I agree Chris 100%. I think the ones you have pictured are the ones I use. Walmart has a better selection than Dollar General. I use brushes for acrylic paint. they clean in water. If you are using Titebond 1 even if you forget and it hardens on the brush just stich in a gar of water over overnight Ans it will be as good as new Titebond 11 takes a little longer but it can be done. I no not know about 111 , never tried it.

Tom
    I forgot to clean a brush used for III. An overnight soak in latex caulk remover brought it back. I am glad it is a favorite brush.

Photo on 2-28-23 at 10.30 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-28-2023 at 11:39 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I only use the acid brushes. I trim the ends before I use them. After use I put them in a cup of water. It just sits in that cup till the next time I need it. The water gets gross and cloudy full of glue. It doesn't matter, I pull it out, give it a wash and rinse out the cup and use it again. I'm probably go 4-6 months between replacing them, only when the bristles start to fall out or I accidentally leave it out and glue dries on it.

Edit to add I only use those brushes for small glue ups. Big stuff obviously it would take forever to spread.

Blog Entries
    For any surface larger than say an inch, I will use a disposable paint brush or a small roller, or old credit card.
    One of my go to disposable applicators for spreading a lot of glue is a box of old business cards. The credit card comapnies used to send out a lot of plastic advertising credit cards. I have used them mostly for spreading glue on dowels:

Glue Applicator.jpg

More on that and other dowelling helpers > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?256011

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Agreed Jim. A card makes for a good spreader on a broad flat surface. A fine toothed plastic tile compound spreader works great too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I've been using plastic artist palette knives. They have them at the dollar store or craft store. They appear to be the same material as credit cards, but tapered and in different shapes. They have metal ones too but they get rusty or corroded.

I used to get the platic shoppers cards at the grocery store or gas station to save, but they've stopped giving those out the last few years. Now it's all online or on your phone. Can't use that for spreading glue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCue View Post
    I've been using plastic artist palette knives. They have them at the dollar store or craft store. They appear to be the same material as credit cards, but tapered and in different shapes. They have metal ones too but they get rusty or corroded.

I used to get the platic shoppers cards at the grocery store or gas station to save, but they've stopped giving those out the last few years. Now it's all online or on your phone. Can't use that for spreading glue.
    I guess you could, but it promises to create other difficulties.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I like stencil brushes. They are fairly cheap and come in different diameters. Sets of five are available. You can put a small rubber band around the bristles to shorten and stiffen them up if needed. As easy to clean as any others, except silicone.
    Jim

Just wondering....remember back when, that one would either use a finger...or that plastic tab that seal the wrappers on loaves of bread?

Glue up a few boards to make a panel: beads of glue along the edges, then rub the boards together a bit, until they "stick" in place..usually an inch each way..
    Olde School?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Bread? That doesn't come in paper bags?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I still use a finger, almost exclusively.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    I found these silicone food baster brushes to be the best overall . The advantages I have found over bristle brushes of any kind is :
    They cost next to nothing
    Dried out glue simply pulls off even days after it long dried up
    no need to store them in water
    bristles never come off
    The only modification required is to clip the long bristles back to about 1/2 inch in length.
    Primarily for me they speed up adding glue to the many many pieces for segmented turned bowls.
    here is a link to the brushes I bought there are many options and sources
    calabrese55
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1