Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Knife recommendations?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike!

The Buck website really spoke to me (and the pricing was more reasonable than I had anticipated). I ended up with a "Stockman" for my dad, and a "Canoe" for my son. Bought a mug too while I was there to just push me into "free shipping" range.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I have a Buck 506. Fairly old (1986). Small, good steel, takes a good edge. 3" long, folded, 2" blade.

Mike

Buck-506-3.jpg

[Added note: Buck has a table on their site that allows you to date you knife.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-28-2023 at 10:50 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I have Grandpas old Barlow. It is like his hand saw and the other tools I inherited from him, worn down, way down. It has duct tape grips while I decide between Brazilian Rosewood and Bone for replacements.

Photo on 2-27-23 at 5.52 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-27-2023 at 7:01 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Is there any that you can particularly recommend?
    I have had wonderful experience with the blade blanks from Helle, a Norwegian company. They have both full tang and stick tang options.
    A local outdoor store carries a pretty complete line up.

Hi all,
    I hope to lurk more in this section of the forum as I learn more about hand tools (just starting that journey).

In the meantime, I do have a question I thought you might have a take on...

My 75 year old father is impossible to buy gifts for, the proverbial "guy that has it all", so I try to pick quality over quantity.

He really likes to carry a pocket knife and has a couple sentimental and utility options, but nothing truly noteworthy. As such, I thought he would appreciate a very high quality pocket knife. Some quick searches turns up some beautiful options, but I am unsure how to determine which ones truly stand apart. I'm thinking something sophisticated, sleek, and useful for the small tasks he often uses his knives for (opening packages, odd/small tasks, general day-to-day usage).

Do you have any brands/options that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Bob R.
    The Kershaw Leek is a very respected pocket knife. It is a very high quality single blade assisted opening knife which is a perfect gentleman's sized pocket knife with a pocket clip. I have never heard of anyone that owns one not absolutely loving it! --even the pocket knife nerds love them! Look around for a sale. I have two, one in silver and one in black. The black finished one is holding up very well but the stainless steel finish will hold up FOREVER! The blade is plenty big enough for anything I have ever needed a pocket knife for but the package is small and thin enough that you don't know it is there until you need it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Leek is a very difficult knife not to fall in love with! They have an incredible feel of quality holding it, opening it and closing it. Very solid construction and a high quality knife steel blade. If you have never had a quality assisted opening knife you need to try one. I can't imagine ever carrying a knife that needs 2 hands to open ever again.

I personally prefer the model with the partially serrated blade. It makes cutting rope and such a lot easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660S...g%2C124&sr=1-8
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 02-28-2023 at 4:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    your asking a hard question because I have no idea of your budget.

In general, there are the "supersteels" that are popular among high end collectors such as CPM SV30 or CPM SV35, most makers use high end materials to make a high end knife. To start from the top end I like Chris Reev's pocket knives. for something a little more sanely priced you might try BenchMade (I just saw that they offer customization). for an excellent daily carry though, you can't beat an Opinel no.8
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the opinel no 8. It's my daily carry, and even though it's not an expensive knife, I have been more than happy with the quality, simplicity, and durability over the last couple of years.

I own, and like, a variety of folding knives including Buck, Case, Puma, Columbia River, Opinel, Kershaw [the "leek' is a high favorite] and many more. If it looked right, and had good 'hand', I got it. Some years back I bought a Gerber Bolt-action to take backpacking [weight was a big issue]. Looks similar to one of the Gerber's pictured above. The test of time has proven this little 3 1/2" blade precision made [USA] knife to be the most convenient to carry and use on a daily basis. Remarkably durable, it takes and holds a good edge, remains as tight as the day I got it, and shows little, if any, wear.

This topic got me looking at the prices of new pocket knives. I was astounded at the prices. Still have a Case knife I bought over 50
    years ago , paid $20 . My parents gave me ….a speech about being “more careful with money”.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    This topic got me looking at the prices of new pocket knives. I was astounded at the prices. Still have a Case knife I bought over 50
    years ago , paid $20 . My parents gave me ….a speech about being “more careful with money”.
    Yeah, I bought a Buck 110 folding hunter in about 1971 and it was $20. That was expensive back then.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

This is the one that lives on the climbing harness. Good for webbing, peeling oranges, and cutting salami. Not good for peanut butter. 1 3/4" blade. I'm not sure I would carry it in a pocket as the blade can open easily.

IMG_3970.jpeg

Have a black one. The blade length and shape is very good for cutting cheese. The knife is so slim you don’t notice it in your pocket. You can cut lots of cheese before it needs sharpening .
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I've carried a Benchmade for over a decade now. I somehow stained the steel badly (really no idea how) and have been looking around. The zero tolerance knives seem quite nice - https://zt.kaiusa.com/0452cf.html

Blog Entries
    A salesman for some other company gave me a Benchmade knife. He told me he knew the owner of Benchmade and was often getting knives from him.

For fast, one handed opening the Benchmade is a good knife. My Boker tends to be in my pocket when some heavy cutting like rope is expected. Though the Boker stays in the house and the Benchmade is in the shop for cutting rope when needed in the shop.

Benchmade makes me think of my early days working for a restorer of Packard automobiles. He explained the difference between an automobile being hand made, bench made and assembly line made. Not sure if that has any relation to the name of the knife maker.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-02-2023 at 3:21 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I ended up with a "Stockman" for my dad..........
    Late to the party.

I have a Stockman. Over 40 years old. Does exactly what I want it to do. Solid. Sharpens great.
    Un-kill-able. Your son will one day have that knife.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    I am enjoying having Grandpa's Barlow in my pocket since this thread reminded me that it should be there. I hope I do not loose it. Loosing my pocket knife has been a sad and recurring event. I have left behind a trail of small, slim, Case and Victorinox pocket knives. I hope some charming Brit Detectorist finds them.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-02-2023 at 6:10 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice