Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Knife recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Those Swiss Army Knives are calling to me. Likely there are already too many lying about for me to jump on anymore.

Though the smallest one looks like one I haven't seen before.

jtk
    Swiss Champ (my preferred)
    Craftsman
    Climber (carried for years in my youth)
    Mountaineer
    Swiss Army
    Golfer blade, bottle opener, scissors, corkscrew, no key ring
    Ambassador (classic but bigger 3" no key ring)
    Bijou (classic w/ no key ring)

Some of these aren't in the current line up- slight differences.

Cheers, Jay

I'm one that doesn't want to carry a heavy, bulky knife. I carry an old boker tree 3.5", 3-blade that is the goldilock size for me. Don't know the model. Got it from my Dad's collection when he passed. Similar to a Case stockman, which I have a couple of in case I ever lose my Boker. If I were looking for a gift knife for an "old school" man it'd have to be this size, with a beautiful handle. I'm sure there a many quality options that fit this requirement.

Another vote for SAK. I've carried the same model (it looks like Victornox Model 1, but that one has only a single blade, the one(s) I've had have also a flat head screwdriver, bottle/can opener, scissors and an awl). At one time, both Victornox and Wenger made them. I had heard that this particular model was actually what was issued to the Swiss Army, but who knows? They have aluminum scales that are knurled or checkered. Very handy if a bit on the larger size. I've owned 5 in the past 40 years. I've lost 4. The last one I lost was right after 9/11 when I forgot it was in my briefcase and went through airport security...

These models are pretty indestructible and take a great edge.

DC

Spyderco is my EDC last 20 yrs or so. yeah, old guys are tough to buy for, lol. good luck......

I think the OP already made up his mind but I thought I'd add that the SAK Damascus are really attractive.

https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Vic...ast-collection

I usually carry a CRKT knife. The are well made and have a range of sizes.

I occasionally carry this German made knife my wife gave me several years ago. I think it came from Garrett-Wade.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I carry a Benchmade Mini Barrage always. It has a single 2.9" drop point blade. It stays sharp and is for general purpose use. I love it.

Opinel #6 on belt & Victorinox Tinker in overnight kit.

I will hop in here and say the Opinel garlic knife is kinda the perfect woodworker’s knife.

I’ve got a lot of pocket knives and I always have one in my pocket. Here's a small sampling of some of my more commonly carried knives. The ebony jack top left, black composite jack top right, and the jigged bone canoe middle left probably spend the most time in my pocket.
    pocket knives.jpg

I've carried a pocket knife for nearly 80 years. Some of you may remember when kids boots came with a pocketknife. Anyway, for the last 40 years or so I've carried a SAK. For me it is a tool that I use every day. I have it tethered to a lanyard on my belt so I don't misplace it. I have 3 sizes plus an old Case "boyscout" knife which I never liked.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I just gave a SAK to grandson for his 15th b-day- the same kind that I carried starting about that age.

His father is a worry-wart who still worries that his kids will amputate something with scissors.

Hi Bob ,I don't know if this is current but one of the best make of knives is the American Buck knife.
    They have a great variety and all knives carry a life time warranty.
    Noel

last year I gave my 3 year old great grandson a SAK like mine. There are too many people who have the idea that pocket knives aren't good for kids. I just wanted to be sure that the boy had one.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    last year I gave my 3 year old great grandson a SAK like mine. There are too many people who have the idea that pocket knives aren't good for kids. I just wanted to be sure that the boy had one.
    I usually waited till the were 6 or 7 and made sure their parents approved. As far as I know all my grandkids still have the SAKs I gave them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)