Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Knife recommendations?

Blog Entries

Pocket Knife recommendations?

Hi all,
    I hope to lurk more in this section of the forum as I learn more about hand tools (just starting that journey).

In the meantime, I do have a question I thought you might have a take on...

My 75 year old father is impossible to buy gifts for, the proverbial "guy that has it all", so I try to pick quality over quantity.

He really likes to carry a pocket knife and has a couple sentimental and utility options, but nothing truly noteworthy. As such, I thought he would appreciate a very high quality pocket knife. Some quick searches turns up some beautiful options, but I am unsure how to determine which ones truly stand apart. I'm thinking something sophisticated, sleek, and useful for the small tasks he often uses his knives for (opening packages, odd/small tasks, general day-to-day usage).

Do you have any brands/options that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Bob R.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Blog Entries
    Good morning Bob.

I have carried a pocket knife with me for over 60 years. Over the last 30 or 40 years a small Swiss Army Knife has been my choice. Before that I carried a larger SAK with a corkscrew, screwdriver and leather punch.

Pocket Knives.jpg

When these are in antique or second hand stores for five or six bucks I tend to bring them home. That may stop now since my last purchase brought home a nice stash of these. One even had a small ball pointpen instead of the usual toothpick. My grandkids have loved receiving them as their first pocket knife.

https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Pro...y-Knives/c/SAK

There are many features from which to choose to find one just right for your father.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Not sure if a Swiss Army Knife counts as special in general or what specifically would appeal to your Dad. But I'm really partial to a specific SAK model, the Rogue now renamed the Rambler. It is the same small length and width as the Classic, (sold everywhere and, I think, most of the models shown by Jim,) but is "3 units" instead of "2 units" thick. With that extra depth it changes the tools and the usage dynamic significantly (IMHO).

First the two unit thick scissors and the one unit thick knife blade both open away from the lanyard eye-hole which reduces interference. Second the extra thickness allows a true Phillips head screwdriver / bottle opener to be next to the nail file. (PS- the SAK nail file may seem silly, but my wife says it's the best metal nail file she has ever used. Though she still prefers a specific brand of emery board.)

You have to search for this model as it is much less common than the Classic, but for an unnoticeable increase in size I find the extra utility well worth the search (and, yes, extra price. It's not carried by the mass market discount retailers.)

your asking a hard question because I have no idea of your budget.

In general, there are the "supersteels" that are popular among high end collectors such as CPM SV30 or CPM SV35, most makers use high end materials to make a high end knife. To start from the top end I like Chris Reev's pocket knives. for something a little more sanely priced you might try BenchMade (I just saw that they offer customization). for an excellent daily carry though, you can't beat an Opinel no.8

I was about to say, budget will inform a lot. A damascus Laguiole would be pretty special.

I have a Case Sodbuster that doesn’t leave my pocket.

Without knowing your dad, it'd be difficult to suggest what he would like. If he's the frugal kind, he may not like a fancy knife.

Vintage pen knives can be found on antique stores. You may find something interesting there.

Of the fancy kind, there are many out there. There's a French brand that I like the look of, Laguiole.

This is the knife I have used for everyday carry for several decades. https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/act...n/lst-22-06009 I have donated several to the ATF since 9/11. I buy them locally in an ACE hardware store. They are relatively cheap, reliable, sharpen easily, light weight, and a lock back. This knife cleans easily if used for something that gets it messy and it's made in Portland, OR. When I climb out of bed each morning, I get dressed, loading this knife and a backup set of keys in my left front pocket. I have a much more expensive Gerber lock back knife I carried in my day pack when I hunted elk. It was a pain to sharpen BUT it held it's sharpness through skinning and field dressing several elk before requiring more sharpening.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I got tired of finding myself needing a cutting edge with one hand holding something so looked for an auto knife I could open one handed, and five years ago settled on this Boker knife. No regrets at all. Carry it at all times.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov-Automatic-Knife--9485

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I've been carrying a Gerber Paraframe for the last several years.
    Lightweight, clip onto my pocket, all stainless.
    Goes through everything and can be put through the dishwasher
    There are a few different styles
    https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/sho...rated-22-48447

I have a cigar box full of pocket knives. I’ve carried the SAK Classic SD for 35 years. I’ve been through several. The TSA has 3 or 4 of them .

Small blade, scissors, nail file, tweezers, and toothpick. Doesn’t take up much pocket space. It’s all I need for an EDC knife.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Benchmade with an Axis lock. Closest thing to a fixed blade knife I’ve found in a pocket knife. They have different sizes/styles for different preferences.

I’ve had a Presidio that I’ve used for the last 10 years. It has held up great. Benchmade makes a mini version also if I recall. With and without a serrated section, and in both stainless and carbon steels.
    Last edited by Keegan Shields; 02-26-2023 at 3:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I got tired of finding myself needing a cutting edge with one hand holding something so looked for an auto knife I could open one handed, and five years ago settled on this Boker knife. No regrets at all. Carry it at all times.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov-Automatic-Knife--9485

The large knife in the image with my post is a Boker. That is the knife in my pocket when there is some heavy cutting to do. The blade is easy to grip between two fingers and open (two handed). It's a great one trick knife that has a history possibly predating WW II. Back then there was also an "electrician's" model with a second, large, flat screwdriver blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    A nice thing about the Swiss Army Knives is there are models to fit the interests of the owner.

Scroll down the Features selection for an amazing array of options.

jtk

Case Medium Stockman with stag scales. I prefer stainless blades to carry everyday. Carbon steel rusts from sweat. Case also makes the Stockman with fancy scales. The knife is otherwise the same. Many people consider Case knives collectible. I think it is a well-made knife.

For something special, have you considered …

Regards from Perth

Derek