Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apron, Smock/Jacket, or ??

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Unfortunately some of us can’t wear cowboy boots because of instep shape. I’ve tried and could never get a cowboy boot on my foot unless it was way too big. I always wore good work boots and made sure my jeans covered the tops. So far i’ve never had a blob of hot steel in my shoe (crossing fingers, or should it be toes?)
    I don't wear them for anything but welding (when I DID welding), but I still have them.
    I don't like wearing Cowboy boots, or really any boots...generally they are too heavy, (tho' my instep is fine with boots.)
    If I start welding again (actually it would be brazing) I'll probably wear them.

Guy in class had his denim shirt catch fire.
    He didn't even notice that the sparks were hitting it, and then it just started burning.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

If your not stick welding 100% cotten or denim are fine. Definitely boots a hot spark will go right though sneakers and socks(doesn't feel great) Mig/tig put off a lot of uv but not a lot of sparks compared to stick so long sleeves. So leather jacket/stick gloves arent completely necessary and may be offered by the instructor. When I learned stick welding it was all at eye level around pipe so leather was necessary

100% cotton, poly melts/burns

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    …Mig/tig put off a lot of uv but not a lot of sparks compared to stick so long sleeves. So leather jacket/stick gloves arent completely necessary and may be offered by the instructor. When I learned stick welding it was all at eye level around pipe so leather was necessary
    When our friend attended welding school last year they started with stick, the usual flat then vertical, horiz welds around pipe, then quickly added overhead stick. I don’t like overhead! Apparently a lot of students had trouble. I got an old truck brake drum and a length of angle iron so she could rig up a stand to practice overhead stick in my little weld shop. This let me watch too and offer a couple of suggestions (and be fire patrol!). Overhead stick showers EVERYTHING with hot sparks.

A lot of people have wire/mig welders and use special flux core wire instead of gas shielding. For anyone not familiar, this simplifies the set up and is more portable and less expensive (there’s no cylinder/regulator/hose to lug/cart around) but it spatters like crazy! The smaller machines use 110v only and can be relatively cheap. Decades ago I paid a little over $100 for my first little wire welder, (lincoln weld pak 100) and it’s still in use in the family. The welds do need more cleanup to be pretty but flux core might be a good way for some to get into welding - SO handy around the shop and home (and farm!)

Blog Entries
    as a very NON-pro welder, I obviously just wear whatever I am wearing. I did buy one of the blue long sleeve button up shirts and one of those silly looking caps for under the welding helmet. Those caps are a LIFE SAVER. When I was around pro welders, I think I remember them having leather tongues that flopped over their laces of their leather boots.

Honestly, as an on and off welder I don't worry about my foot wear too much other than they need to be a pair that can take some abuse. You can also be smart with where you are relative to the sparks. The grinder is where the majority of my clothes abuse comes from. When I'm actually thinking , I wear my heavy canvas apron. Sapphire wrist watch faces DON'T protect against sparks, btw. Ask me how I know.

TIG welding is the way to go if you have the time. So much more enjoyable.

When I'm welding, I usually wear a full leather jacket that is designed for welding use. For me, it's not just the spatter it's also the UV.

It is similar to this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-...7XXL/205141534

I usually wear it even when TIG welding to help block the UV.

I've also tried the green cloth jackets from the welders supply, but find that they too will burn if you're stick welding overhead.

Miss this one a year ago, but by trade I’m a fitter/welder. When I was working in the trade or simply welding in the shop I wore jeans and the heavy denim Wrangler shirts. With mig and tig you don’t need much burn protection as you don’t get the flyers or at least not many. Red Wing made a Pecos model that was a 5 or 6” boot that I always wore. You need a shoe that does not have a stitch on the top for the thread to burn. That Pecos is now an 8” boot. Cowboy boot style in any case. The thing I always wear is a Bad Ass cap. They offer a low or high top hat. I use the high cap turned around and pulled down over my ears. Why, well, if you catch a hot spark down your ear and it gets into the ear wax that melts you are going to be dancing.

[QUOTE=David Bassett;3244118]I was warned, but didn't experiment, that dryer sheets leave a residue that will burn. Tale I was told says it is a low temp flame that won't bother you until someone notices and uses a fire extinguisher on you!

Anything drycleaned also has a residue. I know this because a fellow jet engine mechanic had his coveralls drycleaned. While smoking a cigarette the coverall burst into flames and mangled his arm before he got out of it. He survived but had massive scarring on his arm.

Minimum of all cotton, fire resistant is better, leather is great. If you watch your local Facebook marketplace you can find these cheap. I have purchased of fire resistant clothing items, Bargain hunt has been a really good place for these, Ollies usually has fire rated coveralls for cheap. Synthetic material (polyester) will melt into your skin.....