Thread: Horizontal bandsaw

Horizontal bandsaw

I'm looking for a horizontal bandsaw. Usually I'm one for going one size larger than I need to make sure I don't need to buy it later. This time I'm thinking a portaband size is all I need for a long time. I'm debating between the HF Hercules bandsaw and portable stand ($210) and the WEN 5" horizontal bandsaw ($338). Price-wise I have ruled out most (OK, all) other options. Milwaukee or Dewalt bandsaw and the portaband pro stand cost more than a floor sized (Jet) horizontal bandsaw . I like the idea of being able to remove the bandsaw from the stand, so I am leaning towards the Hercules setup.

It's been a while since you posted so you have probably sprung for one or the other but I share tools with a friend who has a HF bandsaw which is very handy and works well. He does not have the stand but does have a metal cutting chop saw which is also nice.

My horizontal/vertical/mitering metal-cutting bandsaw is one of the most used metalworking tools in my shop.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I'd personally go with the Hercules over the Wen...even if they were equal, that local store thing is nice and HFT is very good if something isn't right. And yes, the flexibility with the blue machine for non-stand use is a nice feature.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...