Thread: Another what is it? PIC

Another what is it? PIC

The shafts shown below were included in an estate sale lot. They were more than likely intended for something woodworking related. Any ideas on their intended use? There are about a dozen of them.
    Mystery Shaft 001.jpg

Blog Entries
    A shaft for buffer, disc sander, or lathe?
    A google search by image brings up motorcycle and car parts.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Possibly a spindle for a spindle/oscillating sander?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

You forgot to give dimensions: length, diameter of shaft, thread size.

Hard to tell from the picture. Do the other ends have ground flats? If so, might be for fastening pulleys with set screws. Any holes or threaded holes in the far ends?

I have zero idea what they are....

I do know that I need a half dozen of them however....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You forgot to give dimensions: length, diameter of shaft, thread size.

Hard to tell from the picture. Do the other ends have ground flats? If so, might be for fastening pulleys with set screws. Any holes or threaded holes in the far ends?
    The overall length is 14-1/4". The majority diameter is 1" but there is a section about 4" long that has been turned or ground down to .990". The threaded end is 1" x 8 tpi. The collar at the threaded end has a hole part way into it that looks like it's for a breakout bar. There is also a flat milled into the opposite end. The only holes on the ends are centering holes for lathe work. I think the threaded end being 8 tpi and that the previous owner had a ton of Oneway parts suggested that it was a lathe part, possibly a spindle for one the smaller lathes. The PO had a long standing relationship with Oneway and a 2436 lathe with serial number 1. I may be answering my own question with the gentle push by Mr. Jordan. Any other thoughts on the parts?

I would assume the ground down section is metric for a 25mm ball bearing.
    Bill D

Or just relieved for a shaft collar. Although I'd suspect the flats more likely used for that.

.984 for a 25mm, if he's rounded off to 990.

They look like guide rods but for what I don't know. As Wes says .990 isn't in line for a 25mm bearing. To large to work. More likely an undercut to allow something to get started on straight. I searched through the Oneway website but saw nothing like that. Doesn't mean they weren't prototypes if he had a close relationship with them. Any other unusual or unique tools in the shop? Just fishing for clues.

If the threads are ground, its entirely possible they're a spindle for 'something'.