Thread: Do new Japanese Chisels require setup?

Do new Japanese Chisels require setup?

This is probably a dumb question. But I am a tad nervous about disassembling a brand new, $72 chisel. So I'm asking those of you who know Japanese tools.

I bought a 1/8" and a 1/4" dovetail chisel from LV. LINK

For LV western chisels in this price range, I never needed to do any setup. But Japanese chisels are blacksmith made. Stan Covington shows a long procedure to set them up. LINK

In your experience, is this truly necessary with a brand new Japanese chisel? Or can I wait until after a couple years of use?

Thank you.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    From looking at the images, these chisels may have been set up by the maker.

It may be a good idea to explore the many posts on > setting up japanese chisels < that was my Google term and got a lot of hits.

It is doubtful they will melt down if you put them to use before following any traditional hoop setting.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I agree with Jim. If they look like the ones in the pic, they look like they’re ready for action. Those are some nice chisels, too, I hadn’t noticed them before.

Kevin

Removing the handle is way out on the fringe- never seen it mentioned anywhere else for set up.

LV seems to say the the hoops are pre-set, which would be uncommon, but handy. Setting the hoops is not complicated, & if not done the hoops might tend to fall off but no problem otherwise.

Usually chisels come semi-sharp, needing the back to be flattened somewhat, and polished, and final sharpening of the cutting edge.

Sometimes performance is not the best until after several sharpenings when the initial cutting edge has been honed away, so don't be discouraged if first use is less than spectacular.

The corners of dovetail chisels are thin- don't pry.

Thank you guys. After I try them out I'llost a short review.
    Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fred, all new chisels - Western and Eastern - need to have the backs flattened and bevels sharpened. That is a given. The hollow backs of a Japanese chisel are treated like any other chisel. Further, continued lapping the back is part of sharpening for all, but with Japanese chisels it aids in controlling the hollow (pushing it back from behind the bevel).

In addition to the blade, the hoop needs to be set. The aim here is to drive the hoop further down the handle, just enough that there is handle end enough to splay over the hoop.

It is not necessary to do more. I have completely rehandled a precious set of Kiyohisa bench chisels (oire nomi) only because they were purchased individually, looked a little different, and I wanted to create a set.

This and more details here (how to set the hoop) …

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRes...aRebuild2.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek!