Thread: Caulk date codes

Caulk date codes

When I buy caulk I check the date code so as to buy the one "farthest out" before expiring... (not unlike what I do when buying milk )
    But some tubes have an actual date (good ) and some only have that mfr dating code (annoying ).
    Does anyone know how to decipher the mfr date code on DAP brand caulk(s)?
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I researched it a little with no success. I am attaching a link that you can use to "Ask the Expert" at DAP. It appears most companies put the date code on the pusher cap in the back that forces the caulk out when applying. As to DAP I can't say. Good luck.

https://www.dap.com/resources-support/ask-the-expert/

If the tube feels soft when I squeeze it I use it. If the tube feels hard and dried up I toss it. Never paid attention to the date and so far so good.

I'm pretty sure it's like this guy explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YroGDlwpApE
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's like this guy explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YroGDlwpApE
    Thank you....if the method is still valid my caulk was mfr'd the 11th day of 2023 (I know that "Day #" is based on the 365days/year way of counting it)
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I have some tubes that are years old and still good. These things are worth the trouble.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    When I buy caulk I check the date code so as to buy the one "farthest out" before expiring... (not unlike what I do when buying milk )
    But some tubes have an actual date (good ) and some only have that mfr dating code (annoying ).
    Does anyone know how to decipher the mfr date code on DAP brand caulk(s)?

This is a great idea. I bought a whole lot of 3M 5200 at auction and was patting myself on the back for my super deal until I started using them and they were all dried up!!!! Duh to me. I only paid something like $10 for the lot, so I laughed it off.

5200 is great stuff, but has a short life in the tube, opened or not. I don't know that I've ever used any in my lifetime that has ever failed though, including underwater on boats.

In my experience unopened caulk cartridges and squeeze tubes will last longer if you seal them well in at least one heavy duty plastic bag. I think most culk, RTV etc sets up as solvent evaporates.

On a similar note I keep CA glue in air-tight container with desiccating beads to remove moisture, a CA accelerant. I displaced the air with nitrogen or argon in opened containers of all finishes since oxygen generally causes them to set up. All these things last for many years longer than they otherwise would.