Thread: Are panels going to be strong enough?

Are panels going to be strong enough?

Just joined forum, although have gotten a lot of good information previously and I thank all of you. I would classify myself as an advanced beginner.
    Wanting to build the pictured below steamer chest. Question is material for and attachment of panels. I am afraid that panels will not look good if I use rotary cut plywood. Only q-sawn plywood is in white oak, which is very expensive and I cannot get s4s white oak locally, so I thought I would use red oak. I need ¼ thick panels.
    I can get ¼” plain sawn red oak boards to use for panels which i think would look much better than plywood. Additionally, I would have a lot of plywood left over if I went that route. I do not have a planer to make boards thinner so I cannot use the white oak available locally.
    So, here is my question, if the panels are made of red oak boards can I glue them, or will expansion be a problem. It seems to me that the trunk, which is basically five rail and panel pieces plus a bottom, will be too flimsy if the panels are floating?. I plan to do some kind of tinted oil-like finish.
    Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The rails and stiles in that trunk appear to be 3/4" thick. They will hold all the weight, so you panels can be free floating. The 1/4" thick panels should not be glued in place. They will expand and contract with moisture changes. Mount the panels in grooves in the rails and stiles. I would do lap joints at the intersections of the rails and stiles for strength. The trunk bottom is likely a piece of plywood mounted in grooves in the bottom rails.

Cuttin note. When cutting the grooves for the panel, always keep the same side of each board toward the fence and mark that face with tape or chalk so your grooves stay aligned for assembly. Unless you cut your groove absolutely perfectly on center, if your reverse a board it is likely that the grooves will not line up and the panels may not fit properly.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee. Yes, 3/4 rails and stiles. I am reluctant to do a lap joint yet, so i hope using tongue and groove for attachment will be ok. Understand the bottom and have learned that and other rabbet and dado drawer joints. Check on using the same side of the boards. I am thinking of using a tongue and groove router set instead of the table saw.

"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Thanks Tony, this may be another way to go.