Thread: cursor in plexiglass

cursor in plexiglass

I need a fine lined black cursor in a 2" round window of 1/8" plexi or similar plastic. I need dozens or 100's soI need a quick fuss-proof technique, --something better than the utility knife scribe filled with Sharpie technique. What's in the arsenal of a good laser fabricator to make these for me? Anyone want to quote on making a couple 100?

seems like UV printing the cursor and laser cutting the circle would do the trick nicely...

I do this for my own products. I laser a line about .005" wide and set the power so it goes maybe .005-.010" deep, cut out the rest of the part using the laser as well. I use a red grease pencil to fill the hairline, I've also used acrylic paint, but found the grease pencil to work as well and is much easier to do.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Thanks for these replies. Two routes to check out. I do have a small cnc router with both a utility blade dragknife and diamond scratcher, as well as tiny engraving bits. I get close to good results with the engraving bits and diamond scratcher, but just a little fuzziness at the edges in places that looks amateurish. Maybe a super small endmill rather than a v-bit and the grease pencil? I can get lasered ornament blanks super cheap, so I just need to figure out the cursor.

When I first started making the hairline pointers, I milled the acrylic out on my CNC mill and then would use a 90º Mill/Drill and leave the spindle off, orient the tool by hand, and then drag across the parts with the spindle off. It works, but found that the V style groove was harder to get a consistent width and the paint or grease pencil doesn't stick very well at all. The laser works best, and it's quick.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Quote Originally Posted by al ladd View Post
    Thanks for these replies. Two routes to check out. I do have a small cnc router with both a utility blade dragknife and diamond scratcher, as well as tiny engraving bits. I get close to good results with the engraving bits and diamond scratcher, but just a little fuzziness at the edges in places that looks amateurish. Maybe a super small endmill rather than a v-bit and the grease pencil? I can get lasered ornament blanks super cheap, so I just need to figure out the cursor.
    As Glen stated, might be a good job for UV Printing. I've got a Mimaki 6042MKiie here, so could easily UV print them if you wanted.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Al,

You might try Rub-In-Buff to fill the line with color. This product is used frequently by other laser engravers, I keep a large drawer full of every color available in my shop.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/4510797...73b589f7bdb6ca

Blog Entries
    Drop of Acrylic paint into the lasered line. Will wipe of easily as compared to rubnbuff, which will work, but will be more work getting it off and should dry in just a few minutes. But lasered line would work well.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others