Thread: Joinery for dresser case

Joinery for dresser case

I have a few pieces of bedroom furniture to make and have a question on the joinery for the case. The cases will be made up of a top, bottom and two sides. There will be molding around the top and bottom of the case that will obscure any fine dovetail work. I would use blind dovetails for the top/side joint, there by leaving the top 'clean'. In this scenario it's a lot of work for something that won't be seen or I don't want seen on the top, I'm looking for a suggestion on another joint type that isn't as labor intensive, yet is strong. I would like the furniture to last and not break apart when moving!

Dennis

Blog Entries
    Lately I use biscuits for case work. Generally with hardwood plywood for cabinets, book cases and boxes. It is utilitarian compared to dovetails and box joints which are more in the fine furniture world. I have also used mortis and tenon style and rail construction for some simple bedroom furniture with decent results. Here are our Kids 30+ year old mini dressers made from 1/2 inch Agathis ply joined with mini biscuits.

IMG_1300.jpg

and a snip from an old thread Best way to make this out of wood?
    Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 6.02.03 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-23-2023 at 7:26 PM. Reason: images
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    When I build dressers, I make the sides and top from solid wood. I make a rectangular frame from 1 x 2 poplar that I attach to the face frame and sides with pocket hole screws. I drill counter sunk holes from the bottom side of the upper frame to hold the top in place with 1-1/4" counter sunk screws. I also make additional frames as dust shelves between drawers. I use three pocket holes along end of these frames to attach them to the side panels. I elongate the screw holes for the middle and rear screw to allow for seasonal wood movement since these frame are cross grain joints. Elongating the holes is not needed with frame and panel sides.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Before I acquired the biscuit joiners I used finish nails, pins, staples, and screws, often in combination with dados. I still like to build simple cases with dados and nails or screws
    Best Regards, Maurice

Thank you for the replies, I will give some thought to these ideas and see which may work for me.

Dennis

Loose tenons. I use the Festool Domino but before that I created mortises on both sides with a router and jig.

Blog Entries
    My dad made (makes) his mortis and tenon face frames with two routers bolted under a wooden box covered with formica. He has done it that way since the 1970's. I do not think he had ever seen a router table until he made himself that two router box. It is a simple and easy to use arrangement that works for small case work too. The walnut and oak blanket chest pictured above was made with dads face frame rig.
    I don't have a domino, I am starting to want one.
    Best Regards, Maurice

used to be biscuits. Since getting a Leigh 3 dovetail jig it is full dovetails now

Blog Entries
    Dads dovetail jigs are still around. I need to be finding them and refreshing my memory. I also better cut some by hand if I am ever going to be legitimate!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Dads dovetail jigs are still around. I need to be finding them and refreshing my memory. I also better cut some by hand if I am ever going to be legitimate!
    I cut dovetails by hand only on hope chests for granddaughters in rift sawn white oak. I started out that way and will finish that way to keep them close to the same.
    No joy here in hand cut dovetails.

I admire and appreciate pictures of the ones other people post.